Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Need help    

Need help

Maroune
Sri Lanka

Need help

Dear Colleagues!
Need your help again :
Are these statements correct :
Lucky me to belong to a such great school!
 How lucky I am to be a member of such awesome community !
Thx a lot in advance.

20 Feb 2014      

a.antonides
Spain

Maroune, I would say: �Lucky me belonging to such a great school. How lucky I am being a member of such an awesome community. �Such � is used before uncountable nouns, �such a � before countables. There are exceptions as always.. There is no such person.
Regards, Anke

20 Feb 2014     

yanogator
United States

@Anke,
"There is no such person" isn �t an exception; it is a continuation of the rule that you gave so well. For negatives, use "There is no such..." for singular or uncountable nouns, and "There are no such..." for plural nouns.

@Maroune,
I agree with Anke, but I would tend to use the infinitive, rather than the present participle, especially in the second sentence. In the first sentence, I would put a comma after "me" if I used the participle.  Lucky me, belonging to such a great school.  That sentence is difficult to parse in either case. I guess the entire sentence would be considered to be an interjection.

Bruce

20 Feb 2014     

a.antonides
Spain

Thanks, Bruce. I �d love to hear you play that accordion one time:-) Anke

20 Feb 2014     

elderberrywine
Germany

I`d love to see Bruce FULL STOP one time   :-)

21 Feb 2014     

yanogator
United States

@elderberrywine,
Are you telling me to butt out?   Big smile

24 Feb 2014