Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > get students talking    

get students talking

jarek2011
Poland

get students talking

hello fellow co-teachers out there!

I know that there are zillions of speaking activities out there but I would like to pick your brains before I get down to hunt the plethora of materials that the Internet has to offer.

Whenever I do a chapter with my students I want them to take the floor and speak for about 7-10 minutes. In the past I went for project work (Power Point Presentations, Prezi presentations and other ways of presenting the material e.g. posters) or role plays but some of my students seem to be tired of that formula of presenting their findings. I would like to get them talking for at least 7 minutes about New York/ American culture/ history in a new and fresh way. Any ideas?

21 Feb 2014      

emsejowa
Poland

e.g. give your sts pictures presenting NY, sth from culture or history (like you said) and their task will be to create an imaginary story that has sth to do with the picture she/he got  :)

21 Feb 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

what I would do: tell them they are tourist guides and they need to present different buildings/museums during a tour (We are in front the MET, it was built by... in.... Inside you �ll find...), they can use pictures in a powerpoint and you can tell them they need to present several tourist attractions - if you want them to talk 7 minutes, I �ll say at least 3, maximum 5.

21 Feb 2014     

alexcure
Poland

Cześć Jarek,

it �s a very nice Polish thread now ; -). Well, my students liked inventing futuristic stories, if - for example about New York or set in New York - they had to compare the NY of today to their imaginary future NY. Most stories were absolutely funny! Each student, or a pair or a group of them, it depended on the class, felt a bit like a screenplay writer. If your students are creative... it �s "purfect". 

[edit: Polish - French Wink]

21 Feb 2014     

jarek2011
Poland

thank you very much for your wonderful input!

21 Feb 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

How about a Pecha Kucha ?
Also ask them to think of something  like a task for other students (the trivial thing would be questions) to involve them more (maybe they will think of some competitive activity), to make sure they are listening.
Here�s what you can include as tips for your students (it�s taken from Success, a textbook we�re using for 10th-11th grade)
Keeping your audience involved: 
I hope you �ll learn a few things about. .. 
What do we already know about ... ?
Maybe you�re wondering why/what... 
I�m sure you�ll agree that..
Why do you think he�s been so successfuf?
You might/might not know that ... 
And were you aware that ... ? 
Did/Do you know ... ? 
What you probably don�t/didn�t know is that...  
You will/won�t/might be surprised to hear that ... 

21 Feb 2014