Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help    

Help

nounou96
Albania

Help

Dear Friends, I ll start teaching absolute beginners next week and I don �t Know from where to start . Could You Please help?

22 Feb 2014      

Gulsi1985
Turkey

I think you should start from greetings and parts of  a aday. Find some colourful pictures that shows morning, afternoon, evening and night. You can also draw a picture that shows a day. you can prepare a greetings activity in the classroom. write all greetings that includes hello, hi good morning, how are you?, ım fine, good bye...etc in a worksheet then copy, cut down each greetings, Make 2 or 3 groups in the class and handout the copies, then students in groups try to create a dialogue. Students read the dialogue, stick this dialogue in a paper and you can hang them to the board. Hope ı could help you. have a nice day. 

22 Feb 2014     

nounou96
Albania

Thank You. Great Idea

22 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

...Or put classroom objects on a desk - ruler/pen/pencil/rubber etc. Have the students repeat the names, then point to the right ones as you say the words. Then a competition. Put them in two teams. Two competitors come out and see who points to the right object the quickest. Then draw them and they have to guess the object before the drawing is complete. Then in pairs, they play that same game.... also, a game of splat. I continue this way for a while, introducing more and more nouns, with some social language as Gulsi suggests. Then plurals of nouns with basic prepositions and is/are. keep it kinaesthetic. Get a box, a chair and a table and give instructions. Put the pen in the box/ put the rubber on the table, or true or false? ETc.................

22 Feb 2014     

sarasantos
Portugal

Hi!

I think you can find some good tips there! Good luck!

Cheers

22 Feb 2014     

blackssheep
Poland

Hi!

I always start my classes from rules (with children - you didn �t write age of your students).

Later on it is easier to conduct the lessons.

I have got small picteres with rules and childern say (in their native language and I translate it) what the rule is and how they understand it  (according to them). Then, we prepare a big poster, we stick the rules and students sign the poster as they are ging to obey the rules.

The first lesson is mostly in the native language, but under the rules there are labels in English.

My next lesson is always connected with comments like sit down, stand up, put your hand up, be quiet... there are a lot of games to practice the new vocabulary with flascards (or, in this case, whithout them). You can e.g. play with the ball. Firstly, you say the secret word e.g. sit down. Students stand in a raw. You throw the ball to them (one by one) and say one word - the student has to repeat it. When you throw it and say "sit down" the student can �t catch the ball. When he/she does it, he/she looses.
Another game without flascards: Simon says...

Here are some ideas with the usage of flashards:

http://www.macmillan.pl/szkolenia/small-talks/2936,ten-great-ideas

Bye!

22 Feb 2014     

Mariethe House
France

Have a look at this link here. maybe you find some ideas:

http://busyteacher.org/4793-top-8-tips-on-teaching-absolute-beginners.html

22 Feb 2014     

ellakass
Israel

http://www.preschoollearners.com/freeWorksheets.htm
Maybe this can help you too.

23 Feb 2014     

maestralidia
Italy

look at "first lesson" on www.maestralidia.com I generally start with English words that have known in all the languages. hope useful. bye. Lidia

23 Feb 2014     

maestralidia
Italy

look at "first lesson" on www.maestralidia.com I generally start with English words that have known in all the languages. hope useful. bye. Lidia

23 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Wow, great links!

23 Feb 2014     

1    2    Next >