Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Address    

Address

Thalia Gralik
Brazil

Address

Dear mates,

teaching prepositions is not an easy t�pic for Brazilians, and I am working in two schools, one of them uses American English and the other one British English! Now I´m mixing up grammar so, What is the correct form to say in American and British English: "there is a School "on" Park Street" / " there is a School "in" Park Street" / I live "on" Martin Afonso St. / I live "in" Martin Afonso St. / I live at 123, Martin Afonso St / I live on 371, Martin Afonso St.... if any of you could give me a help, I will be Very Thankful!

Hugs from Brazil 

23 Feb 2014      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

take a look here: http://esl.about.com/library/beginner/bleasypreps.htm http://www.onestopenglish.com/grammar/grammar-reference/nouns-and-phrases/prepositions-of-time-and-place-article/152825.article

23 Feb 2014     

abgh8156
Iran

Hi there.
I get your position and problem.

Based on the EFL articles,, nowadays it �s not true you be demand on a specific accent when the English language is a foreign language in your country.

If you wanna to to be in general and the students to learn the English as an international language , it �s better to change your way of teaching. In EFL articles are mentioned some points you have to consider them.

1- The Basic accent and pronunciation is not American or British. What the other can understand can be acceptable.

2- The grammar rules which are different in UK. or US. are not more important. So each of them can be used and are correct.

3- We don �t want to learnt English because of it �s the language of US. or UK. we need to learn it because our needs to it in all over the world. So it �s not logical to learn the American culture or slang and there is no need to learn them. But if a person want to learn especially one of them because of his specific needs , it �s something else.

You can find other benefits of the EFL assumptions on the web by surfing it.

23 Feb 2014     

douglas
United States

American English:

there is a School "on" Park Street

I live "on" Martin Afonso St.

I live at 123, Martin Afonso St

Cheers,
Douglas

24 Feb 2014     

rilum2013
Uruguay

HI,

I TEACH BRITISH ENGLISH AND THE PREPOSITIONS I USE WHEN I WANT TO TALK ABOUT STREET NAMES ARE: ON / AT.

24 Feb 2014     

yanogator
United States

@ douglas,
Don �t hate me for correcting you, but it �s "I live at 123 Martin Afonso St." (no comma between the number and the street).

Bruce  Wink

24 Feb 2014     

douglas
United States

You �re right Bruce, I just cut and pasted it without checking the punctuation (too focused on the preposition I guess), Thanks,
Douglas

24 Feb 2014