Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Would you mind helping me to find a word ?    

Would you mind helping me to find a word ?

maryse pey�
France

Would you mind helping me to find a word ?

Dear all, particularly English speaking natives, How do you call this piece of reed cut pointy that people used long ago as a nib to write ? In French the word is "calame". Unfortunately I can �t post any photo ! Sorry. Thanks for your help all of you and hugs. Maryse.

25 Feb 2014      

MoodyMoody
United States

A stylus is the closest thing I can think of. However, we usually don �t use ink with a stylus. We also use the word for a pen-like instrument used to write on iPads and other touch screen devices. A quill is a feather pen, used with ink. Past that, I can �t help much.

25 Feb 2014     

manonski (f)
Canada

I am pretty sure it is a quill.

25 Feb 2014     

Apodo
Australia

A quill is always a feather.

I found the words �Calligraphy reed pen �
Perhaps there is no direct translation.

Religious tablet of Naxi , calligraphy reed pen in the Dongba script

calame

25 Feb 2014     

yanogator
United States

I love the internet for finding information!!!!!

It is a kalamos (just transliterated from the Greek). Do our Greek members still have this word in their language, and is the meaning the same? The French word obviously derived from this Greek word.

It�s more commonly called a reed pen.

Bruce

25 Feb 2014     

maryse pey�
France

Hi all of you ! It was nearly 1a.m when I wrote my question. The owl I am was a little bit tired. And what a better waking up than finding your answers ! MoodyMoody thanks for your idea of vocabulary. It will be in my word bank. Manon the quill has turned familiar again with Harry Potter. We may give our students some of these magic items to prevent cheating... Thanks for the suggestion : 1 more word in my word bank. Apodo I love you too ! There is a French idiom saying "Why make something simple when you can make it French !" How complicated we are in our way of thinking in France ! And Bruce. You found the Greek source. Thanks for that. Our French word comes from the Latin "calanius". And by the way you are absolutely right : internet is a great source of "delicious" surprises even if there is the worst. Once again THANKS THANKS THANKS ! You all made my day ! Millions of hugs and have a splendid day. Maryse.

26 Feb 2014