Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > a question to native speakers    

a question to native speakers

anaram
Spain

I know this is not the point but I really can �t see the mistake in Sophia �s sentence. I think it is a correct non-defining relative sentence which happens to have a long subordinate clause

- what is a room, where they put all resources on methodology (national carriculum, documents, related literature or periodicals, etc) for you to work with, called?

Would it sound better if you placed called right behind room and detach the subordinate clause from its antecedent?

This is a genuine question: does it really sound better?

Thanks in advance

26 Feb 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Doot: thank you for your contribution. I�m not talking about students� files but different files with documents, articles, periodicals, etc. for teachers to be able to consult when needed to help them with their professional activities and development as well. Maybe it �s a counselling room? What �s its purpose beside storing the students� files?

@anaram: it used to be "how is the room.... called?"Wink

26 Feb 2014     

alien boy
Japan

I �d call it a �Teachers � Resource Center/Room � or �Professional Development Center/Room � or similar.

I haven �t been in a school where there is a formal space dedicated to teachers� further professional development, but I wish every school had one!

Cheers,
AB

26 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Sophia, there is nothing wrong with the sentence you wrote.  That is exactly how a NS in my neck of the woods would say it.  Naturally, as is often the case, there is more than one way to express it.

We don�t have a room.  We have a bookshelf for that kind of stuff, well "had".  No siree, not any more.  The boss got rid of it.  We are now fully electronic in that area, (except for the written info we hide in our desk draws, and at home, where the boss can�t see it).  Even student files are becoming electronic.  Our photocopier/scanner is about to be replaced by a whiz bang scanner so that we can�t even photocopy anything. It�s all about electronic storage now.

(In case you are wondering about student resources, we have to send our classroom printing requirements to a special section).

Cheers

Jayho

26 Feb 2014     

PhilipR
Thailand

Ivory Tower might be an appropriate name :-)

Others include The Dungeon, Secure Break Room and Offline Resource Centre.

26 Feb 2014     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Sophie, you know what? If there hasn �t been a satisfactory answer to your question so far, why don �t you simply INVENT a new name for that sort of place? It could be a metaphor, a proper name or even a neologism! Not necessarily of greek or Latin origin, like a library or библиотека. You could call it a "bunker", a "bookworm zoo", a "brainy room". Whatever! With your creativity and talent you could play that card really hard :) Another suggestion - declare a tender among your students and give them 24 hours to come up with all sorts of ideas with a prize for the best one! You �ll be amazed! Why keep it formal? It �s a school, not the houses of parliament. Be bright! :) And good luck with that!

27 Feb 2014     

jannabanna
France

I absolutely agree with the others - there is NO mistake in your question!

As a NS I probably would have said:

What is a room called where you put all resources etc.....?

I would also agree with ninon100 - try brainstorming the staff to find an appropriate name for your room.

Janet

27 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The nearest thing to such a room that I have experienced in my career (I �ve worked in 17 schools!) is a �staff workroom � as opposed to staff room, which is for meetings and social get-togethers. These days what is happening over here is that each department has its own small office and the staff room has less of a role. We are getting a new building soon and there are six department offices and no staff room. 

27 Feb 2014     

freddie
Canada

Hey there!

It sounds to me 1ike a Teacher�s Resource Room. Though boring, it sounds right. I have to agree with ninon100, invent something unique and fun as it sounds 1ike a room 1ike that may need a 1itt1e extra appea1 :)

27 Feb 2014     

< Previous   1    2