Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > copyright images    

copyright images

PhilipR
Thailand

I think we wouldn �t even have this debate if it wasnt for some over zealous copyright checkers. I am against blatant infractions, but please people, let �s not go overboard here.

By the way, I have always thought it should be the copyright holder to ask for removal of the material, followed by immediate compliance. Anyway, if we become really so strict then more than half of all worksheets on this site should be removed (or are you going to invoke the �old rules � which were more tolerant?).

Also, I think this site should allow us to upload using different licences. My favourite is the Creative Commons Non Commercial Share Alike. 

2 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, Jayho, you have pointed out my temporary defection twice now. When colleagues start calling each other �petty � for reporting copyrighted images and chiding them in fairly strong terms for not going to the original site and checking the terms, it makes you stop and think! 

What I wanted was clarification. There is no point in a moderator who doesn �t know what �s OK and what isn �t. You have said we shouldn �t be reporting colleagues for using copyrighted images, because they may not be doing anything wrong. I need time to come to terms with this way of thinking! I have been assuming that people put copyright marks on their stuff for a reason. There is a section here for reporting images with copyright marks on them and yes, I have reported and voted on this issue. I think it �s a mistake to take copyright lightly and I do feel I have a clearer picture now. But as you point out, it shouldn �t be down to personal opinion.

None of this is personal for me; it �s no skin off my nose if people lift other people �s work but I love eslprintables and want to contribute to keeping the site on the right side of copyright laws.

2 Mar 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Agree with you wholeheartedly Philip.

There is (was?) a lot of copyright reporting going on where there is actually no breach.  There were several on the reporting page yesterday, that were not breaches at all, that I challenged.  The terms of use were quite clear.

It seems that as soon as someone sees a copyright symbol they report it. That is so wrong. Members shouldn �t report unless they are sure.

2 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The only one I saw that you challenged quite strongly Jayho, it turned out that the image had been wrongly used. 

2 Mar 2014     

Mariethe House
France

@Philip:
Thank you for your comment!I �ll buy you a few pints for thatWink cheersBig smile

philiproeland.weebly.com

(BTW, I totally agree with you , that �s why I never moderate anymore!)

2 Mar 2014     

Jayho
Australia

I challenged a few yesterday Lynne, after the forum discussion recently. One member who incorrectly reported, contacted the uploader * to apologise and request them to re-upload.  I admire that person for doing that.

The one I challenged strongly was petty, imho.  One picture of many had a teeny tiny copyright symbol that could barely be seen with the naked eye. There was no indication on that image of the source.  It was reported by a moderator on a whim, on a simple (c) and nothing else.

It was I who found the source of that image, it was I who found the terms of use. It was I who found that 10 images could be used without permission, and 10+ with permission. That should be sufficient enough to satisfy the system.

Ok, it should have had a citation, as per the terms of use.  It didn�t.  But, moderators wouldn�t have known that if I had not provided the link (and I am actually impressed that this was discovered).  (*Furthermore, any moderator who voted for removal on the basis of the missing citation should be practicing what they preach i.e. citing the sources of their images). It was reported on whim, on a simple (c) without any research or proof. It shouldn�t have been reported. It was unfair reporting, imho.

And all this happened after the intense discussions we had on the forum recently. There is more to it but I won�t go into that publicly.

Cheers

Jayho

BTW, none of this is personal.  I just don�t think people should be reporting on a whim. That�s like being charged as guilty before being proven innocent, by which time the worksheet has been removed anyway.

* Edits

2 Mar 2014     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

I missed the debate, though it doesn �t surprise me in the least that sometimes there is overzealous reporting going on.

Copyright is a tricky thing to navigate and I agree wholehearted with Jayho and Phillip. We should be using common sense. i.e. Don �t vote if you aren �t sure and don �t report unless you are sure it is actually an infringement. 

This site has been torn up and divided in the past exactly because of "copyrights" fights and issues. Many members were deeply divided and many of us, myself included, do not participate as much as before because of it.

I really hope that this does not happen again. I completely agree with the "If in doubt do not report/vote".

A special hello to Marieth�, Bryce, Jayho and Phillip :) nice to see you guys again. Big smile

2 Mar 2014     

Jayho
Australia

And nice to see you too Linda!

I really really miss those weekend stories you used to initiate. They were so much fun. But alas, there is not much opportunity to mention the nug nug tree these days.

Cheers

Jayho

2 Mar 2014     

Zora
Canada

Oh the nug nug tree! I do miss those days too! We do need to start a fun thread one day... too bad most of the old crew are in exile, hiding under a rock or AWOL. Could it be that they have made a tree house in that old nug nug tree and just haven �t invited us?? Wink

Cheers,

Linda

2 Mar 2014     

maryse pey�
France

Hey Linda, what an idea ! Let �s start a Knock-Knock story now and maybe old friends will be back soon ?

2 Mar 2014     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >