Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > which one is odd and why    

which one is odd and why

sajida44
Egypt

which one is odd and why

by -behind -in- down

2 Mar 2014      

MoodyMoody
United States

Down is the odd one out. If used as a preposition, it requires motion. The others can be stationary.

2 Mar 2014     

alien boy
Japan

by - it doesn�t have a vowel!

2 Mar 2014     

alien boy
Japan

behind - it�s the only word that isn�t a homonym!

2 Mar 2014     

alien boy
Japan

in - it�s the only preposition listed where you�re denoting something that must be within something else!

3 Mar 2014     

douglas
United States

Down  it �s not a state (generally)

3 Mar 2014     

alien boy
Japan

Prepositionally �by� isn�t always a state either. I feel it�s used more often to identify an agent performing an action or the means of achieving something than as a preposition of place. I thought �next to� edit: or �near� would be more common than �by� in standard Englishes. So in some ways �by� is the odd one out because it isn�t always a preposition of place.

3 Mar 2014     

sajida44
Egypt

so what �s right answer
or the question itself is wrong if teachers aren �t sure how can students answer this ?

3 Mar 2014     

alien boy
Japan

The most likely answer, I believe,  is likely to be �down �, as detailed by moody moody & douglas.
However, if you provided more context to the question, it would be easy to give a more definite response.
The first 3 answers I gave were all given by English language students of mine (all upper elementary students), based purely on the question you provided. All of the answers could be considered correct because there is no context on which to base the most correct answer.
My fourth answer was just my musing about other aspects of prepositional use.

Regards,
AB

3 Mar 2014     

sajida44
Egypt

thx all  but the question is just like this  ( find the odd one out )
I think it �s (down) too, i just wanted to make sure
thanks again

3 Mar 2014     

alien boy
Japan

Is it on a test? What have the students been studying? What level are the students? Are they

These are what I also mean by context, not just what the test question says.
I also believe it �s a very badly worded question because it �s too open to subjective interpretation.

Cheers,
AB

3 Mar 2014