Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > using wikipadia    

using wikipadia

sajida44
Egypt

using wikipadia

is it OK if I  use definitions from Wikipedia  in my worksheets (definitions of natural phenomenon )   ????????

3 Mar 2014      

FrauSue
France

Yes, just give the source at the end of the citation. See below.

A hurricane (or tropical cyclone) is "a rapidly-rotating storm system characterized by a low-pressure center, strong winds, and a spiral arrangement of thunderstorms that produce heavy rain." (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane, accessed 3rd March 2014.)

3 Mar 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

yes but only if you add your own exercise - you cannot simply upload a list of definitions from wikipedia. for example: matching the natural phenomenon to its definition, a right-or-wrong exercise, a fill-in-the-blanks exercise... see what I mean?

and of course FrauSue is right, you need to add the source of your information :)

3 Mar 2014     

Sonn
Russian Federation

You cannot use the texts from Wikipedia here because they are licensed under Creative Commons Share Alike and here we don �t have such a license, we have a copyright license.

3 Mar 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

according to wikipedia �s terms of use: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use
"You are free to:
  • Read and Print our articles and other media free of charge.
  • Share and Reuse our articles and other media under free and open licenses."

"7. Licensing of Content

To grow the commons of free knowledge and free culture, all users contributing to the Projects are required to grant broad permissions to the general public to re-distribute and re-use their contributions freely, so long as that use is properly attributed and the same freedom to re-use and re-distribute is granted to any derivative works. In keeping with our goal of providing free information to the widest possible audience, we require that when necessary all submitted content be licensed so that it is freely reusable by anyone who cares to access it."

since we have to add our own exercises and need to mention the source as being Wikipedia, IMHO we are totally free to use documents from Wikipedia - the documents from wikipedia are not copyrighted, the only part of our ws that is copyrighted is the exercise(s) we add.

4 Mar 2014     

Sonn
Russian Federation

This article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane, is licensed under  Creative Commons Share Alike. It means anyone can use it under this license ( Creative Commons Share Alike). The license we use here is quite different. CC does not mean PD and there are restrictions.

4 Mar 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

if I read properly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_Creative_Commons_Attribution-ShareAlike_3.0_Unported_License
Creative Commons Deed
This is a human-readable summary of the full license below.

You are free:

• to Share�to copy, distribute and transmit the work, and
  • to Remix�to adapt the work

Under the following conditions:

• Attribution�You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work.)
  • Share Alike�If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same, similar or a compatible license.

if we start being too strict about copyright rules we should remove all the texts from this website except for those which were written by one of us or those taken from texts whose copyright has expired... But in the spirit of giving authentic texts to our pupils that would diminish greatly the number or documents we could study with them...

As long as we acknowlege the fact that the text is not ours, and that we mention its source we should be fine since we do not actually sell our ws and make profit out of them...

4 Mar 2014     

sajida44
Egypt

I read the definitions and write them in my way  so i guess  that will be fine 

4 Mar 2014