Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What ´s the correct translation of this title?    

What ´s the correct translation of this title?

kons
Morocco

What ´s the correct translation of this title?

Hi everybody,
I ´m translating an article from French to English, but I ´m not sure of the title ´s translation. Can you help me please?

The French version: Epidémiologie de l儫ypertension arterièlle au Maroc oriental et relations avec le diabète type 2 et l侊bésit�.

The English version: Epidemiology of arterial hypertension and its relationship with type II diabetes and obesity in Eastern Morocco.

Thanks in advance.

KONS

7 Mar 2014      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

maybe not relationship but "its relation to the ..."

7 Mar 2014     

yanogator
United States

Sophia, I agree that "relationship" doesn ´t sound right, but we wouldn ´t say "and its relation to". Unfortunately, I can ´t come up with a good wording in English. What I ´m thinking is "in relation to".

Although I don ´t know French, I ´m puzzled by the word "au" in the title.

Bruce

7 Mar 2014     

kons
Morocco

thank you Sophia and Bruce/ what makes it difficult is begining with � epidemiology of artirial hypertension �. I agree that relationship doesn ´t sound good, but I hope you come out with a creative suggestion. "au" means ´in �/ you can think of the English version if you don ´t know French. thank you all.

7 Mar 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The epidemiology of arterial hypertension in Eastern Maroco related to/and how it is related to/ and how it relates to/connected with/contributed by type 2 diabetes and obesity?

7 Mar 2014     

yanogator
United States

I ´m going with Sophia on "and how it relates to type 2 diabetes and obesity." That follows the French most closely, while using smooth English. It also sounds like the way a medical person would say it.

Hey, am I mentioned in the article? Hypertension, type 2 diabetes and obesity - that´s me!

Bruce

7 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, I like ´and how it relates to.. � @ Bruce ´au � is � + le �. Most countries are feminine (article la). Maroc is masculine - ´le Maroc �. So ´au Maroc � is ´in Morocco. � If you don ´t follow this explanation, this is because I used to be a French teacher and I was rubbish!

Lettuce leaves for you, my friend! Befriend hunger and it will make you slim.Wink I have never managed myself.
Lynne

7 Mar 2014     

jannabanna
France

May I suggest:

The epidemiology of arterial hypertension in Eastern Morocco and how it relates to type 2 diabetes and obesity.

Quite similar to the others I ´m afraid.

Janet

7 Mar 2014     

kons
Morocco

Thank you all for these suggestions. I highly appreciate that. What you have mentioned is helpful.
To Bruce, don ´t forget to follow Lynne ´s advice!
Have a nice time
Kons

7 Mar 2014