Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Short activities for the first minutes of class    

Short activities for the first minutes of class

izulia
China

Short activities for the first minutes of class

Hello dear colleagues,

I read somewhere a while ago that to prevent discipline problems with the noisy teenagers from the start of the lesson it is a good idea to set some short engaging written activities that can be placed on their desks before they come in to the classroom. Now, at the time I was reading that article I didn �t really have behaviour issues in my class, but now unfortunately I do...

I was recently given a class of 10 students, 12-15 years old, 9 boys and 1 girl and they are VERY noisy. At the moment I am trying to establish some routines, classroom rules, etc. I am going to start a new routine when they line up outside my classroom before they come in, and I would like them to start the lesson from a short written activity related to whatever we study at the moment or just to practice their English skills.  I have students of three levels: beginners, elementary and lower intermediate.

Could you help me with some ideas, WHAT SORT OF SHORT ACTIVITIES they could be? I really need to get them into working mood from the start of the lesson, so they don �t have a chance to start mocking about and get silly.

Any ideas will be much appreciated!

10 Mar 2014      

Doot
Canada

You could have a quick review worksheet from the class before or have them journal daily but give them the topic. or you might consider giving them a short passage to read with some questions. IRA works well - Individual reading activity -they are expected to have something to read and read for as long as you decide. 

10 Mar 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

if they know the phonetic alphabet you can write on the board 5 words using the IPA
for example:/skuːl/ /ˈruːləʳ/ etc...
and they need to guess which word it is. at first choose words taken from the previous lesson (here the theme is "school"), then you can choose words that have nothing in common but a sound which is hard for them to pronounce (in this case /u:/), then after a while you can ask your pupils to come up with new words...

10 Mar 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

If you have  an  alphabet posted in your room assign a number to each letter. Then write a word using numbers (2,1, 20 = bat) and they have to decipher the word. If you want to make it more challenging set up the numbers differently (counting by 2s, 5s etc. ). You can also challenge them to write a word of their own or a phrase or sentence. Ed

10 Mar 2014     

aee.aee
Slovenia

Hello! Great idea, Ed. You can find some worksheets suitable for your students on http://www.magicvocabulary.net/ http://www.mes-english.com/worksheets/introduction.php You can also create your own worksheets there. Good luck! Mattea

10 Mar 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

click the blue buttons on the left for creative writing prompts

10 Mar 2014     

izulia
China

Thank you, my dear friends, for your great ideas and useful links! It �s so wonderful to get your support. 
Have a nice day/evening
:)

10 Mar 2014