Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me, what is the right answer?     

Please help me, what is the right answer?

oiseau bleu
Tunisia

Please help me, what is the right answer?

My school went to uniforms 3 years ago. At first, I didn�t like the idea of the school telling me what I could wear. After we started wearing them, however, I noticed that more and more people were becoming friends based on (what / who) they were inside, not on what outfit they put on. We have a lot of chances outside of school to wear whatever clothes we want, if that�s how a person expresses himself. Wearing uniforms (ends / ended) some of the peer pressure. I think they are a good idea, aren t they 

11 Mar 2014      

inmaaa86
Spain

I am not a native speaker but in my humble opinion I think it who and ends.

11 Mar 2014     

Jayho
Australia

In my humble NS opinion (and NSs are not always grammatically correct):

who - we are referring to a person (the inner self as compared to the outer appearance, often influenced by fashion)

and

ended - the reference is to three years ago.  If it were now, it would refer to reducing some of the peer pressure rather than ending it. 

Cheers

Jayho

Edit: You�ll find the original text here, and it�s different to my answer

11 Mar 2014     

yanogator
United States

All four options are correct.

We can talk about the person inside, or what the person is made of, so both "what" and "who" work fine.
If we are talking about this specific situation, then "ended" is correct. If we want to generalize, then "ends" is also correct.

I wouldn �t end with "I think they are a good idea, aren �t they?". When expressing an opinion like this, it would be more common for the tag question to be "don �t you?"

Bruce

11 Mar 2014     

yanogator
United States

All four options are correct.

We can talk about the person inside, or what the person is made of, so both "what" and "who" work fine.
If we are talking about this specific situation, then "ended" is correct. If we want to generalize, then "ends" is also correct.

I wouldn �t end with "I think they are a good idea, aren �t they?". When expressing an opinion like this, it would be more common for the tag question to be "don �t you?"

Bruce

11 Mar 2014