Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Pros and cons of boarding schools?    

Pros and cons of boarding schools?

izulia
China

Pros and cons of boarding schools?

Hello my dear colleagues, 
I am writing to share my today �s experience at school just to help me unwind a little bit. I �m working in one of the secondary boarding schools where kids live on campus. Unfortunately staying at school every day makes them feel somewhat edgy at times and today it ended up in fighting and ... it was scary... Of course the fight was stopped as soon as possible but it made all the other children and teachers anxious and uncomfortable. 
As a child I went to a regular school and I �m not entirely sure about the benefits of boarding schools in terms of a child �s social and emotional development. Some kids in our school get to see their parents only  ONCE IN A SEMESTER! Most of them go home only once in fortnight. What a big moral pressure for the kids, don �t you think?  The children from our school come from really wealthy families, so I guess their parents could afford to take their kids home more often, ideally EVERY weekend. Some of our teachers say though, boarding schools help the kids to toughen up. 
I wonder what the other teachers think about  the pros and cons of boarding schools? 

13 Mar 2014      

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thanks a lot for sharing this topic. In my opinion, it is better for a child to live with his parents. I think they can learn them many things more than any school. At least, living with parents makes them love each other and live in a comfortable and safe environment.

13 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think it �s a form of child abuse. A total abnegation of parental responsibility and a distortion in the normal relationship between parent and child. Such children must feel a sense of emotional deprivation on some level and no amount of fancy toys/ponies/cars/whatever can make up for that. 

14 Mar 2014