Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help with correction    

Help with correction

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Help with correction

Hello, dear friends.
A friend of mine has asked me to translate the summary of his thesis. Could you have a look and help me with corrections? I think native-speakers would be the best.
Thank you very much and have a nice day,
Michaela

This thesis deals with the concept of stereotypes of minority groups by the employees of the Police of the Czech Republic.   The thesis is divided into two parts � the theoretical one and the practical one. In the theoretical part we focus on the general introduction of the theme of minority, a minority of the population, where we have selected thirteen minority groups that are the normal part of the society. They are different subcultural groups of the population, but also the national and the ethnic minorities, which are a favourite topic of criticism of the major society. The thesis introduces the basic facts about these minority groups and their history. In the practical part we deal with the attitudes and perceptions of the minority groups, when we compared the attitudes of a hundred employees of the Police of the Czech Republic and an equally large group of people outside this sector.

18 Mar 2014      

wolfy
Chile

wow,

If you want to translate that, the quickest and easiest way is to google translate and correct.

Copy paste the whole thing into google translate and then with the original next to you correct the translated one.  It shouldn �t take you too long to correct but then it depends how long the text is, but you will save an awful lot of time doing it like this.

Now if you �re just talking about the text you �ve included, then it seems fine, I would only make a couple of changes and those could be seen as not necessary.  So in conclusion I wouldn �t change it.

Hope that helps.

18 Mar 2014     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Wow,
I wonder if you are serious.
My students are not allowed to use Google translator because the results are very often non-sense and I should use it? I am able to translate it myself (and I have as you can see above). I only asked native speakers to have a look if there aren �t any significant mistakes. I wouldn �t expect a teacher advising me to use Google translator - sorry. But maybe I �m old-fashioned nad children nowadays study English by it. Wink
Have a nice day, Michaela

18 Mar 2014     

yanogator
United States

Michaela,
I �ve made a few small changes, including the removal of "the" in a few places. I know that articles are sometimes tricky for people in Slavic countries, since I have studied Russian (and am of Serbian descent).
This thesis deals with the concept of stereotypes of minority groups by the employees of the Police of the Czech Republic. The thesis is divided into two parts � a theoretical one and a practical one. In the theoretical part we focus on the general introduction of the theme of minority, a minority of the population, where we have selected thirteen minority groups that are a normal part of society. They are different subcultural groups of the population, but also national and ethnic minorities, which are a favourite topic of criticism of the major [I think I would say "larger" here, but I �m not quite sure] society. The thesis introduces the basic facts about these minority groups and their history. In the practical part we deal with the attitudes and perceptions of the minority groups, when we compare the attitudes of a hundred employees of the Police of the Czech Republic and an equally large group of people outside this sector.
Bruce

18 Mar 2014     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Oh, thank you so much, dear Bruce - you �re the best. Thumbs Up

18 Mar 2014