Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Names of flowers    

Names of flowers

Sonn
Russian Federation

Names of flowers

Dear friends, I have a question concerning names of flowers and I´ll be very appreciated if you can help me.

Do we have to write names of flowers with a capital letter? I am reading a book of a British publisher and all the flowers there are capitalized even if they are in the middle of a sentence. But in Wikipedia these words are written with lower case letters. Are there any rules of writing the names of flowers?

Thanks in advance,
Natalia

20 Mar 2014      

alexcure
Poland

Hi Natalia,

the names of flowers don �t need capital letters. The author of the book you �ve read might have had his/her own intention to have used capital letters, either to underline their importance or because of his/her private attitude towards flowers or some other reason. 

Have a good day,

Alex 

20 Mar 2014     

yanogator
United States

In fact, the names of flowers should not be written with capital letters, since they are not proper nouns.

Bruce

20 Mar 2014     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Thank you very much, dear Alex and Bruce. 

20 Mar 2014