Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > New Word of the Day    

New Word of the Day

anaram
Spain

New Word of the Day

Thanks, ascincoquinas, for choosing my definition, when I saw it reposted, I spotted a mistake. Of course it should be� among other causes� and not �among others causes�.  �Causes� came as an afterthought when I had already written "others". Sorry about that.

And the new word is:  paraprosdokian

Have fun with your witty creations.

Ana

20 Mar 2014      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

paraprosdokian = ancient Greek coin

20 Mar 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

A paraprosdokian is a technical term meaning teaching assistant.

para-: prefix used to describe someone who works with person in a profession, such as paralegal or paramedic

pros: slang for professionals

DOK: acronym for Depth Of Knowledge

-ian: suffix for person, such as musician

So, paraprosdokian is a person who works with professionals in depth of knowledge, or a teaching assistant. I wish I had a paraprosdokian to help with my paperwork!

20 Mar 2014     

sarguero
Spain

Paraprosdokian = parachuting in Siberia

21 Mar 2014     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

@sarguero: funny! hahahaha! 

21 Mar 2014     

douglas
United States

Paraprosdokian is actually the name of a big event in the Iranian city of Kian (aka The King).

At this event professional (pros) parachutists from all over the world gather and make a mass-jump into the city of Kian.

---Para(chuting) pros do Kian--

21 Mar 2014     

isa2
Austria

Oh, a paraprosdokian is a paramedic who thinks that drinking prosecco on duty is ok.

para = paramedic
pros = prosecco, a bubbling alcoholic drink, similar to champagne
doki = okeydokey

21 Mar 2014     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

Paraprosdokian is a term used to refer to someone who takes himself for a poet, and sees no problem with word choice when writing verses.

Para (prefix )that means resembling
prosody: the study of poetic meter and the art of versification
okeydoke: no problem
ian: suffix to form nouns and adjectives

I used to be a paraprosdokian when I was at the middle school . Before I started writing a poem, I used to make a list of words that end with the same sound , then ended the verses with these rhymes though they didn �t fit  the context. My stanzas used to sound poetic , but didn �t truly convey my feelings and thoughts.

21 Mar 2014