Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "bumper-to-bumper"    

"bumper-to-bumper"

crissorrir
Brazil

"bumper-to-bumper"

Hello dear teachers!
I need your help again.
I have to translate a document and I couldn�t understand the expression in red. I have looke for in dicitionaries but I didn�t really understand.

"Indexing system is a total material handling solutions in sterilizer station. The

latest generation is less maintenance, bumper-to-bumper cage movement for

single cage and/or twin cage movement."

Could you please help me with this?
Regards,
Cristina.

24 Mar 2014      

teacher1976
Germany

Hi, I think  bumper-to-bumper means "very close together" like cars in a traffic jam. Hope this helps?!

24 Mar 2014     

Marribel
Spain

Perhaps it could be very slow

24 Mar 2014     

mari_18cf
Brazil

bumper-to-bumper
Used of traffic
"bumper-to-bumper traffic"

slow

24 Mar 2014     

yanogator
United States

Yes, it could mean "very close together", or even "from front to back" (from the front bumper to the rear bumper), depending on which fits the situation. New cars come with a "bumper to bumper warranty", which means the entire car is guaranteed, from the front bumper to the rear bumper.

Bruce

24 Mar 2014     

lenalopesbr
Brazil

Em trafico � quando o transito est� engarrafado. No seu caso acho que seria uma estufa com ferramentas sequenciais, ou seja uma atr�s da outra.

24 Mar 2014     

Tere-arg
Argentina

From  Oxford Dictionaries

bumper-to-bumper
*Very close together, as cars in a traffic jam:
"Traffic was bumper-to-bumper after police closed part of Ribbleton Lane and Deepdale Road, near the prison, and also St Mary �s Street, off Ribbleton Lane."

*(Of an insurance policy) comprehensive; all-inclusive: "choose our 3-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty"

24 Mar 2014