Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > present continuous vs future simple    

present continuous vs future simple

Lovely Lana
Greece

present continuous vs future simple

Hi dear colleagues,
There �s a sentence in a test:

It �s been decided that consideration ___ to the issue at next week �s meeting.

a) is being given b) will be given (the correct answer is b).

Why is option a) wrong?
Other than saying that option b) sounds better, I can �t think of a solid explanation. I mean, I can say: It �s been decided that we �re leaving tomorrow night, where we use present continuous with future meaning.

Thanks in advance

25 Mar 2014      

FrauSue
France

I think it is because "to be" (here used as the auxiliary for the passive) is usually a state verb and thus isn �t used with present continuous for future meaning. We can use "going to" or "will" with "be" for the future.

It is a beautiful day today and we �re playing tennis.
It �s going to be a beautiful day tomorrow and we �re going to play tennis.
It will be a beautiful day tomorrow and we will play tennis.

BUT: It �ll be a beautiful day tomorrow, so we �re playing tennis.

In your example, we could say It �s been decided that the boss is giving the presentation at the meeting next week - "give" as an active verb and not in the passive - but with "to be" it doesn �t sound right.

I hope that helps!

25 Mar 2014     

Lovely Lana
Greece

Thanks a lot for your answer,FruaSue, it does help! :-)

25 Mar 2014     

yanogator
United States

This one was a head scratcher, but I think I �ve come up with an explanation by trying various options. It is because the item isn �t scheduled (even though it has been decided).

I could definitely say, "The agenda says that consideration is being given to the issue at next week �s meeting", but not "It �s been decided that..."

I hope this helps.

Bruce

25 Mar 2014     

douglas
United States

It has to do with the decision and what the decision was. At the time of the decision (which is what we are describing) the consideration was not yet in process--it was upcoming.

"We �ve decided that consideration is being given." would mean that you were already in the process and it would go something like this:

1: Are we giving this our consideration?
2: I �m not sure, are we? I can �t really decide.
1: Well let �s see.  We have been gathering data and comparing it to the other options..
2:..and we are seriously considering that it may be an option...
1: So, based on these facts, I would say we really are considering it (as an option).

The other option "we have decided to give it our consideration", would indicate that the data gathering, etc. would take place after the decision (Should we begin the process?).

Cheers,
Dougla

26 Mar 2014     

jannabanna
France

As a native speaker (British) the following sentence is fine for me:

"It �s been decided that consideration will be given to the issue at next week �s meeting."

When we talk about what �s on the agenda at the meeting we use the future simple in the same way as planning and discussing a holiday itinerary for example.

Other examples could be:

�        It�s been decided that the coach will stop off at London for the night.

�        The government has decided that taxes will be cut next year.

What do other native speakers think?

Janet

26 Mar 2014     

Lovely Lana
Greece

Thanks a lot for your answers, dear friends Smile

26 Mar 2014