Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Irregular verbs    

Irregular verbs

AACG
Argentina

Irregular verbs

Dear colleagues,
I �ve had serious difficulties with my 13 year old students learning (memorizing)irregular verbs. Any games you can suggest?Thanks for your help

27 Mar 2014      

andreachimenea
Colombia

Well, what I did was, 

First, select the most used verbs according to the topics you �re studying. 

Second, I asked my students to take pictures of themselves representing the verbs you selected before (this, they loved)

Finally, we watched Titanic (it was a quite long process, but it was worth) and while they watched they had to answer severral questions. 

- This movie they really liked it because it is kind of romantic... you know they �re teenagers -

If I remember somethign else I �ll write you. Wink

27 Mar 2014     

anaram
Spain

You can always play bingo or dominoes but what I find most useful is to organize the list by types of irregularity. For example I group together the ones which take -ought for past and participle, or the ones which change vowels i-a-u like swim-swam-swum. I �ll send you my list with different colours for different types in case you find it useful.

27 Mar 2014     

giyolina
Argentina

I have just uploaded a game... a past tic tac toe, come back tomorrow and you�ll see it...hope it helps!

27 Mar 2014     

Tere-arg
Argentina

There are good games HERE

27 Mar 2014     

macomabi
Portugal

Have a look here here
and here

28 Mar 2014     

romanaesl
Slovenia

You can try this. It works with my students. 
Make groups:
- CHICKEN verbs ex. put-put-put
- ECHO verbs ex. win-won-won
- SANDWICH verbs ex. come came come
- COCKTAIL verbs ex. take-took-taken
- CAT verbs "MIAU!  sing-sang-sung
- DOUBLE verbs ex. beat beat beaten
Draw some nice pictures and make a list.
The idea comes from ESLprintables - not sure whose - my pupils added coctail and double verbs.
Regards,
Romana
P.s.
Can send you worksheets if you want. 

28 Mar 2014