Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Advices    

Advices

Rominamino
Chile

Advices

Hi everyone!
Well, tomorrow I have a job interview... A friend (who works at the same place) told me that some questions during this interview are:

What would you do in case a student judges the way you teach?

What would you do in case a student tells you that the money his/her parents pay, is your salary?

Personally, I haven �t experienced these situations (fortunately) That �s why, I think that I don �t have the best answers ...Which would be the best answers for these situations?

Thanks in advance!

3 Apr 2014      

huddersboy
Japan

Depends on the student and the way these things are said if a kid says his/her parents pay my salary I �d say something along the lines of, "That �s true, why don �t I ring your parents and see if they want to come here and see what they are getting for their money"

3 Apr 2014     

japanime
Japan

I would not recommend the response offered by huddersboy. In fact, if one of the teachers under my supervision said such a thing to a student and I learned about it, I would fire the teacher.

If a student is critical of a teacher, the teacher should politely acknowledge the criticism and explain that he or she will bring it to the attention of his or her supervisor.

Bottom line: Always respect your students and take their suggestions and criticisms seriously. 

3 Apr 2014     

sewilkinson88
United Kingdom

I think it would depend on the individual, and the situation in which it was said. Whilst I agree wholeheartedly that students should always be respected when this is a child or a teenager, and nobody else has a problem it is also a matter of behaviour management. Respect is a two way street and students should not be able to undermine you in this way, particularly in front of the class. If I thought that it was a matter of insolence I would ignore the comment, however report it to my supervisor and ask him/ her to chat to the student however, if I thought it was a genuine matter of complaint I would arrange a meeting with the student/ parents/ supervisor at the earliest convenient time as a matter of professional development

4 Apr 2014