Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Maths for ESL adult women    

Maths for ESL adult women

Jayho
Australia

Maths for ESL adult women

Hi everyone

One of the subjects I am teaching at the moment is maths in the workplace involving measurement (mainly weight & volume), averages and graphs.  EG: Calculating how much of a product is produced over a period of time, finding the average, and graphing the results.

I am (desperately) seeking websites with examples related to factory jobs (or other common unskilled/semi-skilled jobs).  I can find the sites of how to do the basic maths, it�s the workplace (or household) examples I need.

If you know of any could you let me know.

Cheers

Jayho

5 Apr 2014      

ELOJOLIE274
France

I don �t know about maths in the workplace but have you tried giving them a recipe for 6 persons and asking them to adapt it for only 2 persons, for for 10 persons...
or slicing a pizza according to what people have to eat to stay healthy: you give the calories of the pizza, the average calories the persons have to eat to be healthy, what they ate during the day, then they need to find out what portion of the pizza they can eat (1/4, 1/8???)
do you see what I mean???

another exercice could be: it takes an average of 2 minutes for the teacher to correct/check each exercise of the evaluation. There are 10 exercises in this evaluation, it was given to 30 students, 10 % of the pupils only completed 5 exercises, 50% solved 8 exercises, the rest did all the exercises. How long will it take to correct all the evaluations?

5 Apr 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Elodie

Thanks for your quick reply.

Great ideas!  Alas, my subject specifically relates to weight (gm/kg) or volume (ml/l). They did fractions and percentages last year.  The problems in my subject have to be real-life, preferably job related and involve adding/dividing to get average then graphing result. 

I�ve run out of puff and can�t think clearly.  And, teaching maths is not my strong point.

Maybe I can adapt your pizza idea to meal break sustenance (size of drinks consumed by staff in staff room, or weight of snacks), work out average and graph results, because, we could actually do this in real life if I bring my kitchen scales to class.

I could also relate your recipe to a canteen/caf�/food factory situation, calculating for bulk numbers.

Looking forward to more ideas to ease my desperation.

Cheers

Jayho

5 Apr 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

"I could also relate your recipe to a canteen/caf�/food factory situation, calculating for bulk numbers." = great idea :)

you could spice it up by saying how many meals were served, how much each ingredient costs to calculate how much a meal costs and how much people have to pay for the canteen to win money(assuming they have to pay the food lady, the heating etc...)...

and to help them with graphing results you can provide the meals that are served during a nomal week (2 meals per day, with healthy options like veggies, and less healthy options like fries...) and say how many people were served every day what they chose (day 1: 256 people were served, 206 took hamburgers, the rest ate fish,  221 chose french fries, the rest took spinach - day 2: 156 were served, 132 took pork sausages, etc...)
they have to convert the numbers in percentage and them create a graph to compare the different meal options...

i feel like i �m not clear enough... (i was pretty good at maths a long time ago but I would have a hard time teaching maths...)

5 Apr 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I �m not sure how much this will help you but have a look
Spending money and consumer math lessons

5 Apr 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Once upon a time I had this book with the title "Applied Mathematics". It contained examples as the ones mentioned above. Maybe a search on this title may clear the mind and bring you the result you �re looking for? On the brink of being sexist, calculating recipes and conversions (cups and ounces to grams etcetera) may be helpful? And as homework you have them bake you a lovely cake or muffins or whatever you fancy! Cheers, Peter.

5 Apr 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Thanks for your wonderful help everyone.

I have slept on it and now have a better idea of what I shall do.

Cheers

Jayho

5 Apr 2014