Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is it ethical...?    

Is it ethical...?

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Is it ethical...?

Hi all,

I have been teaching a pre-intermediate class Vocational Business and we �ve been doing a project on McDonald �s - jobs, with present simple; healthy eating with comparatives etc.... Would it be ethical for me to be involved with getting them a McDonald �s meal? I would say it �s OK, so long as we look at the healthy eating angle. I have a grid for them to describe their meal and compare it with others � as to whose is the healthiest choice and why.  A colleague has suggested that this is not acceptable for a healthy-eating/ free trade accredited school.

Mmm- any opinions please? 

5 Apr 2014      

Jayho
Australia

Hi Lynne

This is one of those situations where colleagues will be clearly divided, plus you might need parental permission for any students under 18.  If it were me, I wouldn �t venture down that path unless I had all adults and my superiors agreed with my rationale.

An alternative would be for students to choose a healthy meal option from the menu but not actually purchase it.  You could even print and laminate different pictures of menu items with nutritional information printed on the reverse.  That way students can mix and match menu items to calculate the healthiest combination of items. 

Cheers

Jayho

5 Apr 2014     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I think Mc Donald �s shouldn �t be a place where we take our students, not even to do something like what you want to do. There are other options and you won �t have problems with anybody-
At least I wouldn �t do it.
Good luck
Yolanda

5 Apr 2014     

sarguero
Spain

A visit to a local market with a lot of fresh food of different kind should be a good option. Thumbs Up

They will grant you a big THANKS in the future when they won �t become morbid obese, one of the biggest health problems in USA and Europe in general. So if you can avoid their children will come to the the school with a fat dad or mum..... go for it!!!

Is it ethical giving kids a little toy with their meals? Surely not, but this is the way Mc Donalds ensures future costumers.... No way for me!!! Censored

5 Apr 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Hi Lynne. Long time ago I did this experiment with my economics class: instead of venturing to town, with permission slips and all, I bought a McDonalds hamburger and a real one from our local take-away. The so-called blind-taste test didn �t work of course as the real hamburger looked so much better. I did he same with coke. This was a better test and 90% choose the cheap coke from the supermarket over the real stuff from Coca Cola and Pepsi! Nevertheless, the moral of my story is that I got quite some trouble for serving coke in class (and the essays they wrote were lousy, too, but that �s besides the point). But the worst was the fact they couldn �t wait to go to town for a Big Mac, and they kept buying the expensive coke instead of the cheap one they liked so much better. In short, don �t waste your energy too much! Cheers, Peter.

5 Apr 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@PeterLOL
Thank you, guys. Thank you for keeping me on the straight and narrow. I was wrong. I �ve already mentioned this to the kids and they are excited. I �ll present them with laminates as Jayho suggests and tell them that is what I meant all along.Big smileWink
I �m sure there �s a lesson somewhere in there for them!  

5 Apr 2014