Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Passive Voice or Adjective?    

Passive Voice or Adjective?

Canankiran
France

Passive Voice or Adjective?

Hi guys, long time no see. I have an advanced grammar question:

If painters or sculptors with potential talent are subsidised to live in great centres of culture like Venice or Paris, why shouldn �t promising pop stars be subsidised to sip from the industry �s founts in Los Angeles or London?

In this sentence, are �are subsidised � and �be subsidised �  used as part of passive structured verbs? or are they adjectives? and how on earth can I prove it?

Thanks.

5 Apr 2014      

MissAndreaP
Argentina

sub‧si‧dize also subsidise British English [transitive usually passive]
if a government or organization subsidizes a company, activity etc, it pays part of its costs:
Farming is heavily subsidized (=subsidized a lot) by the government.
�subsidized adjective [only before noun]
heavily subsidized agricultural exports
�subsidization noun [uncountable]

Adjectives come before a noun. "to be subsidised" is a verb phrase in the passive form and note that the agent of the action can be indicated  by a prepositional phrase beginning with "by..."

5 Apr 2014     

Zora
Canada

The sentences are grammatically correct. However, you are not using subsidize correctly.

Subsidize is when a government pays/incurs part of the price of something so that it is cheaper to buy/grow/manufacture. 

I think the phrase you want is:

If painters or sculptors with potential talent are given scholarships/grants to live in great centres of culture like Venice or Paris, why shouldn �t promising pop stars be given scholarships/grants to sip from the industry �s founts in Los Angeles or London? 

5 Apr 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

To add to MissAnreaP �s answer, �Subsidised students, living in centres of culture... � that is adjectival.

These examples are verb phrases - the active would be �the government/industry/whatever  subsidises them. � �they are subsidised by � - this is passive voice - the present passive. 

Any grammarians around? I think there could be a better explanation! 

6 Apr 2014     

florimago
Spain

I completely agree with cunliffe �s explanation !!!

6 Apr 2014     

Canankiran
France

Thank you for your answers everyone. As far as I know there are a couple of tests to see whether the structure is adjective or verb. For adjectival use: inserting �very �, inserting the prefix �-un �, and changing the copula �be � to another one like get, seem, or remain etc. For verbal use: (as it is mentioned at the above in comments) to make it active.
So I came up with this explanation:

Very: *If painters or sculptors with potential talent are very subsidised to live� The sentence loses its grammaticality when very is inserted.

�un: *If painters or sculptors with potential talent are unsubsidised to live� The prefix �un also makes the sentence ungrammatical.

Copula: *If painters or sculptors with potential talent remain/seem subsidised to live� As it can be seen the sentence also fails the copula test.

Active: If the agent subsidises the painters or sculptors with potential talent to live� It can be turned into an active sentence, so it is proven to be a passive structure. 

Am I right?

6 Apr 2014