Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ECLECTIC APPROACH    

ECLECTIC APPROACH

4979792@speedy1m
Argentina

ECLECTIC APPROACH

Hi teachers,  I need your opinion about why it would be appropiate to encourage trainers to adopt an eclectic approach in their teaching of English. I am makimg a survey about teachers and methods they use.

And for the teacher who are trainers please what you consider to be your own personal strengths as a tainer.
Thanks in advance for your help.

10 Feb 2009      

Minka
Slovenia

I think it is important to use different approaches because our students are different and that �s it.

10 Feb 2009     

mena22
Portugal

GSmileSmileD MORNING  2U all!! I �m just so happy to be able to have my morning coffee with you again!

I do believe in an eclectic approach to teaching a 2nd language. If you take a look at my worksheets, you �ll see that I try to use as many different methodologies as possible, because, as Minka stated above, students don �t all learn in the same way. They all have their learning preferences, we only have to make them aware of that! 

In spite of agreeing with/ using an eclectic approach, I cannot think of teaching a 2nd Language without using a task-based approach, the one that  I use  with my classes and also my teacher trainees. According to the Portuguese Curricula and the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, our main aim is to promote the autonomous  multilingual and multicultural learner. I think there is no better way to do it than giving the students the possibility to negotiate with us several aspects of the forthcoming task, which is always built around a cultural topic,  - strategies, activities, resources, evaluation, final task.... 

So, I think the eclectic approach cannot be thought of lesson by lesson, as if each of them was separated from the other, with no articulation at all... In my opinion, an eclectic approach is an excellent tooll  when thought of for a continuum of lessons.

I hope I could help.

A wonderful day to you all! Now I must leave for school.

Mena 

10 Feb 2009