Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with a word!!!!!!!    

Help with a word!!!!!!!

Jessisun
Argentina

Help with a word!!!!!!!

Hi!!! I have a doubt!!! Yesterday I was teaching  vocabulary related to � Love and Relationships � to my adult class when we were discussing about the word � partner � that sometimes can be used to refer to a homosexual �partner �. One of my students told me that she isn �t married but she has lived with a man for more than fifteen years. She told me how can she refer to �her partner � without calling him �husband � as they are not married . Are there some words to be used apart from the word � partner �???? I �m ready to listen to your suggestions!!!

6 May 2014      

Emily1988
Korea, South

I would explain that �partner � is probably the best word to use. It can be used for people in any kind of relationship. I have lived with my boyfriend for 4 years now (I �m a girl) - we are not married and I refer to him either as my boyfriend, or my partner. I suppose there are words like �companion � that she could use, but the context isn �t really correct. �Partner � is fine!

6 May 2014     

Sharwong
Canada

In Canada we would say "common-law partner" which could refer to same or opposite sex. 

6 May 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

The best word to use, married or not, is " partner". Officially it can be referred to as " de facto partner"

7 May 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

I �ve heard the term "significant other" used to describe someone in a relationship like the one described above. Ed

7 May 2014     

douglas
United States

"partner", "significant other" or "life partner" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_partner )

7 May 2014