Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What Cleft Sentences question    

What Cleft Sentences question

Sharwong
Canada

What Cleft Sentences question

Hi fellow teachers,

Right now I �m teaching CAE and the focus was on What cleft sentences, where the focus can be on an object, verb phrase, subject or the whole sentence.

eg.  I love apples.   What I love is apples. (focus on object)
 I wrote an essay.  What I did yesterday was write an essay (focus on verb or verb phrase)
Now the tricky sentence I wrote for the students to transform was
The tenses are the most difficult part of English. (focus on the subject)
My intuition was that you can say

What are the most difficult part of English is the tenses.   However a student asked if it was better to say "What is the most difficult part....  I say not....but it was a challenge to explain

Cleft phrases are always singular thus the is/was in the middle of the sentence, but this isn �t the issue. 

This was a puzzler and caused alot of debate in the teacher �s room.

Sharon

15 May 2014      

douglas
United States

IS- "part" is singular

However, shouldn �t the "is" come later (not in question form)? :

What the most difficult part of English is the tenses.

or

What the most difficult part of English is is the tenses. (?)

(although these too sound very awkward)

Cheers,
Douglas

16 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think that �s OK:  �What the most difficult part of English is is the tenses. � Maybe it does look funny, with �is is� but it�s fine to say this. 

16 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

Right, Lynne. Not Douglas �s first one, because the main clause doesn �t have a verb.

As Douglas said, it is definitely not "are", because "part" is singular.

As the others are saying, this is just an awkward construction, but it is grammatically correct, so if you want to use it, use "What the most difficult part of English is is the tenses.

As a side note, use "a lot" not "alot". Maybe you just missed the spacebar.

Bruce

16 May 2014     

Sharwong
Canada

Thanks for your help. 

However "What the most difficult part of English is is the tenses focuses on the "object" of the sentence  (The most difficult part of English is the tenses)

In this sentence
Rainy weather annoys me the most------What annoys me the most is rainy weather.

It doesn �t really answer my question   when the focus should be on the subject of the sentence.

If I use the same pattern, (The tenses are the most difficult part of English--focusing on the subject of the sentence) ---"What are the most difficult part of English is the tenses"

Can it be plural  or singular after the What?

Any clarification would help.  Thank you.

16 May 2014     

dackala
Serbia

I think that your construction of a sentence is wrong, so you can �t do anything with it. Don �t give that example to your students again, since the construction is not correct. The reason is this-you can �t use a question form � what are the most difficult part � since you �re breaking the rule of making  indirect questions, so  it is impossible to make a good explanation with this one, so choose another sentence for your students.

�Where�s the bathroom?�

�Where�s the bathroom?�

I hope I helped

16 May 2014     

douglas
United States

In your first example the same thing happens:  "I love apples.   What I love is apples."

But if you insist on the plural then change it to "parts and it works:

"What the most difficult parts of English are are the tenses."

19 May 2014