Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > iPads in the classroom    

iPads in the classroom

Peter Hardy
Australia

iPads in the classroom

Dear friends. Although I �m used to some technology in the classroom (I have an Interactive White Board), my boss is an iPad fan (and addict), so he reckons we should use iPads in the classroom, but I have no idea what to do with these things. Personally I do not believe it will help my students. After all, whenever I see people using those gadgets, they don �t interact with others around them. (In my view the so-called �social network � is cause for a lot of anti-social behaviour.) To speak English as quick as possible, people need to interact with people, not gadgets. My students are adult (18-65 years old), male refugees, who need to learn English in three to six months and my current methods suffice. I �ve managed to teach quite a few illiterate, elderly men, so I know what to do, but my boss, who has no teaching background whatsoever, seems to know better. So the big question is, has anyone experience using iPads in the classroom, and may thus give me some ideas on what to do with these things? (And maybe help me to change my prejudice, too?) Very much obliged. Cheers, Peter

16 May 2014      

jannabanna
France

Hi Peter,

I have no experience of iPads in class at all, but used computers over the years.  Basically in order to project my slideshows onto the board for the whole class.  When I worked on larger groups with younger students between I8-20 (I, like you, taught adults) I put them into groups to do more oral work, but when I looked in on those working in the computer room, they were all on FACEBOOK or other sites, what can you do about that?!

Of course you have to update your work regularly but I �m from the "old school" and agree that if the way you �re doing things works, why change especially for an anti-social gadget like that!  Our students come to us to be able to COMMUNICATE in English with others!

Just look in any school playground, children don �t talk or play together anymore, they are all on their telephones/ipads!  It �s sad!  

Hold on tight there Peter!

17 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Peter,
I �m a bit of a technophobe, so when the authority gave my department 6 apple ipads and 6 ipods as a reward for our good practice, it was a mixed blessing. I teach teenage boys and basically, I use these gadgets as a reward or to give me a break from real teaching. They are marvellous - there is no doubt. You can get excellent English language teaching apps, but unfortunately, I �ve left it to my teaching assistant (a young man and ICT-savvy) to sort these out. We have the obvious problem - they all go straight on to facebook and the like, so you have to be constantly vigilant. Oh and the favourite app is one which allows them to (virtually) bomb the classroom and the teachers � cars parked outside my window. LOL
I think they are fun, upbeat, the kids love them, but they are no substitute for interaction. However, having read your post, I will look at them again on Monday. My advice to you though is: stick to what you are comfortable with and what works for you as a teacher. 

17 May 2014     

guorkhan
Turkey

I think Socrative is a good app. You might as well have a look at.

17 May 2014     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I am a great fan of all new exciting technologies, however I also agree with you that the use of technology should be limited to tasks where it makes sense to use the computer or Ipad!

I also teach adults and have had success in getting them to make small films and screencasts.

The Ipads probably have a film editing app and of course are great for filming. The advantage of capturing their English is that the student can listen to himself and thereby be made conscious of his strengths and weaknesses.

I don �t think that the screencast site that I have used works on Ipads, but it works on any computer with a microphone. It is called screencast-o-matic. I get my pupils to make a little powerpoint with pictures then record themselves talking as the presentation runs on the screen. Like filming, it gives the student time to prepare his output and adjust it too.

Socrative is a fun way to make quizzes and competitions that can be a classroom or a group or  individual activity, as guorkhan pointed out.

Remember the important thing is that your student learn English and I think that you should point that out (politely) to your boss!

Have a good weekend

Cindy

17 May 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

Like some of the previous answers I have found the "idea" of I_Pads is better than the reality. I was given one and told to find out how it can be used in class so I have spent a long time trying to include it. Perhaps if I had had a class set it might have worked better but so far I find using the students � I-phones has given the best results. We recently used animoto which everyone loved and this week we are trying out �storybird". We do use the I-pad a lot for filming what we do in class, eg roleplays, etc. but I-phones are just as good. My question is "should we introduce certain technology because the boss thinks it �s a great idea or because it can do something nothing else can do". Hmmm!

My idea is use whatever works!
Cheers
Joy
PS I can �t do without my smartboard! Love it!

17 May 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Thanks for the help so far, guys/gals. That screencast-o-matic looks interesting, Cindy. Thanks. However, it reminded me, as additional information, we don �t have an internet connection in class, so the iPads will be disabled, too. After all, if there �s no (wireless) network, there won �t be any Face-book problems either. I feel better about it already :-) The other challenge I have forgotten to mention is that I don �t have regular classes/students. There is a small core group, but most only come to earn some points. My students can earn up to 25 points aka $25 per week as pocket money when they participate in activities. Going to the library to read the newspaper in their own language is thus easier than to learn English. Nevertheless, I believe, too, they should learn English, but my boss reckons I only need to keep their minds of not getting refugee status. But I �ll remember to be polite. He �ll be surprised :-) Looking forward to more ideas how to use those iPads as a learning tool. Cheers, Peter

17 May 2014     

jannabanna
France

@ cunliffe - where �s the cross-eyed cat gone?

17 May 2014     

Enid Stella
South Africa

Hi Peter - I have also made extensive use of the Smartboard and am now faced with the same problem as you are - as we are introducing our students to Tablets within a month or so. I love technology and am very keen to try anything new but I also have a few reservations - we have a wireless connection as well as the Internet so I don �t know how it will all work out. I will keep in touch if I have anything that I think might be of interest to you as you are a �new � user like myself.
Good Luck!!
Enid

17 May 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Peter

I wish I had iPAds, and a Smartboard, and even A/C in summer would be nice. So I�m quite envious but one day my turn will come.

I found this link that might be of use: http://www.ehow.com/how_7509059_use-ipad-esl.html

There�s lots of others here.

Cheers

Jayho

17 May 2014     

anaram
Spain

Hi

I believe IT is a useful tool but only one more tool.  Also, there is no specific gadget or app that can be taken as a panacea, so I don�t think teachers should be forced to use a particular one. If we don�t feel confident about it and have clear goals, the quality of our lessons is not going to improve, on the contrary.

Anyway, just to add another view on the debate about the role of computers in education, I think it can be interesting to know that parents with a strong high-tech connection in Silicon Valley take their children to the very expensive Waldorf school, where they have no computers. You can read more about this on The New York Times. Maybe you can show it to your boss, Peter.

Best wishes

17 May 2014     

1    2    Next >