Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > is it correct ?    

is it correct ?

racim
Algeria

is it correct ?

Is it correct to greet someone in the afternoon saying "good morning" ?

Another question : Is it incorrect to say that the capital of Great-Britain is London?

Thank you 

18 May 2014      

MoodyMoody
United States

No, if it is afternoon, say "Good afternoon." Most people won �t think badly if you say "good morning" at 12:15 p.m., but if it �s much later than that, it sounds like you can �t tell time.

The only mistake in "The capital of Great-Britain is London" is the hyphen between Great and Britain. You could, of course, also say "The capital of the United Kingdom is London." Technically, that �s more correct. But people do use Great Britain interchangeably with United Kingdom, just as people say America instead of the United States of America.

18 May 2014     

darryn
United Kingdom

I would say that the United Kingdom includes Scotland, Ireland and Wales which have capital cities too. So the capital of England is London. But people do commonly think of Great Britain to be England- just like the U.S.A. to be America. But what about South America? Better technically to talk about England and the U.S.A. But it �s a good question because I �m English and I have asked myself  about this too. It �s just people from Scotland would object and say Edinburgh is our capital city-London .......Never.

18 May 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

As far as my wife is concerned (born in England) The United Kingdom is not the same as Great Britain. Great Britain is just (dare I say it) a pompous name for England. So yes, London is the capital of Great Britain. (I suppose Britain is called �Great � as there is also Bretagne, in France, which in English is called: Brittany.) Cheers, Peter

19 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh dear oh dear. I hope nobody Scottish reads this; they won �t like it. London is the capital of England, end of. Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland. Cardiff is the capital of Wales and Belfast is the capital of Northern Ireland. (N.Ireland is part of the UK, but not Great Britain.)

19 May 2014