Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > recommend somebody to do something    

recommend somebody to do something

ueslteacher
Ukraine

recommend somebody to do something

Dear native-speaking friends, is "recommend somebody to do something" a correct usage? I �ve been using the phrase quite comfortably until today when a colleague of mine pointed out a usage note in a dictionary which said that recommend is not used in such a phrase. It appears that very much like "suggest" it should be used with a noun or gerund... I am confused, is it that "recommend to do something" is not used without an object?

20 May 2014      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi there!

Like you I am not sure .... but here �s a quotation from LONGMAN DICTIONARY:
rec‧om‧mend [transitive]
1 to advise someone to do something, especially because you have special knowledge of a situation or subject
recommend (that)
I recommend that you get some professional advice.
Doctors strongly recommend that fathers should be present at their baby �s birth.
recommend doing something
I would never recommend using a sunbed on a regular basis.
Sleeping tablets are not recommended in this case.
It is dangerous to exceed the recommended dose.
2 to say that something or someone is good, or suggest them for a particular purpose or job:
I recommend the butter chicken - it �s delicious.
Can you recommend a good lawyer?
recommend something to somebody
I recommend this book to anyone with an interest in chemistry.
recommend something for something/somebody
Which type of oil do you recommend for my car?
recommend somebody for something
I have decided to recommend you for the directorship.

20 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s absolutely fine, Sophia.

20 May 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Lynne: thanks for reassuring:)!

@ascincoquinas : exactly what I said.
Have a look here under meaning #2 
recommend somebody to do somethingWe �d recommend you to book your flight early.

So, my question was: it seems we cannot use "recommend to do something" but we CAN use "recommend somebody to do something" right?

20 May 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

My mother recommended Michael Pendleton to replace our leaky roof. So, it �s fine stateside as well.

20 May 2014     

danhim
Vietnam

Like Advise, we can say recommend somebody to do something, but recommend doing something.

21 May 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

The problem lies in transitive nature. �I recommend to do the dishes � is tricky and sounds rather strange, because �to do smth � is not really an object. So we �d say "I recommend you do the dishes" or "I recommend doing the dishes" (my daughter would know it �s her last warning, too). Question: What word group is �shopping � in "I recommend shopping"? Indeed. But doing has a different role in that it also needs an object. Doing by itself is kind of futile. Replace it with i.e. go. Would you say "I recommend to go to town" or "I recommend going to town" or "I recommend you go to town"? So your 2n phrase "I recommend to do something" only works if �to-do-smth � is the object. Easiest done when you change it into the gerund �doing something �. (Yeah, I surprised myself too.) In conclusion, your cat-phrase "recommend somebody to do something" is correct. But as it goes when you say something to often, I starts to sound strange. So I recommend you change your cat-phrases once in a while, or use more than one :-) That will keep your colleague on his/her toes, too :-) Cheers, Peter

21 May 2014     

FrauSue
France

Ah, there is a slight subtlety here, at least in UK English.

If we are giving advice or a suggestion, we use recommend that someone do something. I think that it would be a good idea if you repaired my car (because otherwise I �ll be angry and hit you) - I recommend that you repair my car.

If we are putting someone �s name forward for something, we use recommend someone for something or recommend someone to do something. I think that you are the best person to do the repair and therefore I will tell the garage boss that you are my first choice - I �ll recommend you to repair my car.

Another example: I think Bill would be a great chairman! I �m going to have a coffee with Bill and talk to him about this. In this conversation with Bill, I �ll recommend that he run for chairman. And I might even go to the boss of the company and discuss Bill with him. In that conversation, I will recommend Bill to be the chairman.

22 May 2014     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

Recommend somebody do something: I recommendshe do the job. Do here is in the present subjunctive.

22 May 2014