Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Auxiliary verbs    

Auxiliary verbs

Daisee
Vietnam

Auxiliary verbs

Can you share any successful, fun and interactive ways to teach the difference between these without a worksheet?

to be
to have
to do

Daisee

23 May 2014      

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

You should add models to them. I think you should not adopt explicit teaching of helping verbs because students need to learn the language (using it to communicate) and not about thelanguage (grammar for grammar �s sake). You can look for a text that highlights all auxiliary verbs, and then ask your students to identify these auxiliary verbs in their various forms. That way they will read the reading passage and meanwhile know about these verbs in context. Teaching helping verbs in isolation will carry your students nowhere since such activities are not communicative in essence. We are trying to teach our students the language and not about the language. I hope you can get my point.

24 May 2014