Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Challenged student...need advice!    

Challenged student...need advice!

Pajalito
Colombia

Challenged student...need advice!

I have a student in an adult ESL class who is handicapped.  She has difficulty writing and speaking in her native language (spanish) let alone in English.  She has difficulty with muscle control in her hands and face and also has memory issues.  She is extremely eager and easy to motivate!  I have no doubt that she can learn the language even if it will take her longer than others and I don �t want to let her down.  I could use some suggestions on exercises that might be more helpful for her other than our typical esl adult books. 

Thanks!

11 Feb 2009      

mena22
Portugal

Hi Pajalito! We don �t  know much about your student, so it �s not easy to give some suggestions, because we can �t be sure if she will be able to do it or not, I mean, we don �t exactly know how far we can go.

Anyway, there is one thing I would definitely do - a series of activities on how students learn, based on Neuro-Linguistic programming (NLP) and Multiple Intelligences(questionnaires, quizzes, worksheets, conversation...),  which would  encourage your student to become aware of her learning styles and preferred  learning methods, and, at the same time, enable you to find out  which teaching skills and methodologies would best meet her needs.

I �ve done it with my students before and it really works. If we give our students the opportunity to find out in  which areas of intelligence they are skilled, they will be able to become aware of their strengths and preferences and will, therefore, recognise more options . For us, as teachers, it will be very helpful knowing these facts because, again, we can plan our tasks according to our students � preferences, using the strategies and activities  which are more effective with them.  In addition,  if we know the intelligences which haven �t yet been developped by  our students, we can create different tasks to promote their development. The more skilled they are in the diffeent intelligences, the greater opportunities they will have to succeed as students, as professionals and as people in general.

There is a book which has been a precious help to me on this specific topic: Knowing me, knowing you, Classroom activities to develop learning strategies and stimulate conversation (2000), by Jim Wingate, Delta Publishing.

Hope I could help.
Have a good night!
mena

11 Feb 2009