Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What old T.V. shows did you like and sometimes think about with fond memories.    

What old T.V. shows did you like and sometimes think about with fond memories.

darryn
United Kingdom

What old T.V. shows did you like and sometimes think about with fond memories.

This doesn �t exactly follow any criteria in the menu but in a light-hearted way I think teachers are still human so they need trivia too . Being from England I remember shows like "The good life" and I was reminded of another one yesterday.  Does anyone remember � Citizen Smith �?  That man who posted the big pictures made me think of it. Then there were shows like � The Goodies � and �Starsky and Hutch � from America. The good life was about two people that wanted a different lifestyle so they did everything themselves. They were self sufficient -growing vegetables and making their own clothes etc. What shows were you fond of in your country and why?

25 May 2014      

ttuffl
Korea, South

Wow, I remember Starsky &... They were cops, right? No? It was quite popular in Korea when I was young.
But one of my favorite was �wonder years �. At that time I was older than Kevin (main role) but me and my friends loved it. 

25 May 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I loved A Touch of Frost and I �ve rewatched it just recently.

25 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Tales From Europe (fairy tales). All the greats from the Brothers Grimm and other great fairy tale writers. Quality TV ( about 47 years ago) 
Tales of the Unexpected (ghost stories) Scare the life out of you without blood and gore.
The Addams Family (I need say no more!)
Captain Pugwash. I loved this when I was a nipper, but apparently it �s full of double entendre!
Mystery and Imagination.  Really scary. I used to beg to stay up and watch these late on Sunday nights, then I would have to have the big family bible on my bed or I couldn �t get to sleep. 

More recently (about 10  years?) LA Law - loved it!

25 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

Three British programs that I love (from different years) are Fawlty Towers, Mulberry, and The Vicar of Dibley. Oh, and I almost forgot Red Dwarf.

Bruce

25 May 2014     

Isabel L
Spain

My favourite is Fawlty Towers, with Manuel, who "learnt English from a book" and who was a Mexican in the dubbed version we saw in Spain. 
An old American show that I remember from childhood is Star Trek, which I would see in black and white and dubbed in Latin Spanish. How strange Mr Spock and his pointed ears looked!

25 May 2014     

darryn
United Kingdom

Great to hear your answers, and I remember those shows too- all good. Thanks for reminding me about the others. That gave me the idea for a story with a moral. Something like:- a man had an incredibly valuable jewel so he locked it away in a vault. But he never looked at it or showed anyone, so it was forgotten. So the value is only realized in the human mind. If  it isn �t recalled to memory it has no value- even though in itself it might be priceless. The same goes for remembering people who have passed away or learning English. So don �t forget about your pearls, and keep reminding your students of the things you have spent your blood teaching them.  The bible on the bed-great protection. I used the sheet over the face method.

25 May 2014     

Manuhk
Hong Kong

Apart from everything already mentioned, I love Allo Allo, and used the pilot episode recently for a lesson about stereotypes.

25 May 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

Mind Your Language and Love thy Neighbour. What amazes me is how politically incorrect we were in the seventies. Things said in shows in this era could never be said now.

26 May 2014