Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Phrase meaning    

Phrase meaning

crissorrir
Brazil

Phrase meaning

Hi everyone! Need your help again. I read a sentence at the school book that, besides my efforts I could not understand. It�s the story of a dog that destroyed his owner�s car. It�s the part in inverted commas. ...What had been a sturdy, dependable method of delivering frozen food around the city "would now not have looked out of place by a beach on a hot summer�s day" Thank you! Cris

29 May 2014      

Cricria
Mexico

Hello,
It is a metafor.  It means that:
"now" (following what ever happened in the story)
"would not have looked out of place" (not unordinary)
this is the metafor:
like the "beach on a hot summer�s day"
meaning for the beach a hot summer�s day is not unordinary.

Is that what you needed help with?

29 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Cricria makes a good point. This is quite obscure and difficult to know exactly what is meant. 

So, before the damage, the van was like a mobile freezer. Now, it �s something you might see by the beach on  a hot summer �s day. Mmm - maybe now that the dog has destroyed the cooling mechanism, it looks hot and sweltering inside? 

I wonder whether the next sentence would make this any clearer?

29 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

My interpretation is that people generally don �t take their pristine car to the beach, since it will come home filled with sand, and with salty wet marks on the seat, so the vehicle that was once very high quality, is now just a "junker" that is used for the most mundane purposes.

Bruce

29 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ Bruce, a-ha, that makes sense!

29 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, Lynne, but it �s still just a theory, since the structure of the sentence doesn �t lead a person to that conclusion. It �s certainly no surprise that Cris didn �t understand it.

Bruce

30 May 2014     

crissorrir
Brazil

Thank you all guys! the three explanations were very good, but Bruce�s explanation makes sence at the story context. Thanks again! Cris

30 May 2014