Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > Controversy - is it good to wrap children in cotton wool?    

Controversy - is it good to wrap children in cotton wool?

darryn
United Kingdom

Controversy - is it good to wrap children in cotton wool?

I want to hear some opinions before I delete my powerpoint game. I just submitted a shooting game where animals are shot at to make what I thought to be a fun shooting game to develop listening comprehension. I can understand the idea about not teaching children to do this, but when I was young I loved shooting games, but I didn �t start killing things after I played.
With all the violence on T.V. and the real life world of survival I think it is impossible to shield people from everything. If you play a video game where the player sets off a bomb- they won �t go home and blow up the world or something. Also I think in a world where most people eat animals, it �s hypercritical to say "I don �t like to kill animals" , but I am guilty there too because I couldn �t do it. Anyway is it O.K. or  not to let students play this game. Thanks for any opinions given. Darryn.     I have deleted it to change to a paintball game.

8 Jun 2014      

Peter Hardy
Australia

Being a boy, although an older one, I remember playing shooting games. I played the first-shooter computer games, too. That helped dealing with frustrations after a day �s teaching ;-) But we have to be more careful nowadays. To watch movies in class, in Australia, we need the parents � permission if it �s more than a G rating (General viewing. Next level is PG: Parental Guidance). So shooting games might be regarded as violent, needing PG and as such parents � permission. I �d be better safe than sorry, an leave the kids to play such games at home on their computers, iPads and so on. Cheers, Peter

8 Jun 2014     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Boys love shooting games, of course and most of them don �t go home and shoot animals or people. But we have seen people who do. There was a case in a cinema in Brazil where the shooter had copied step by step a game.  Couldn �t you make your game like a paintball game? You target the animals, but you don �t kill them. Everybody would be pleased.

8 Jun 2014     

darryn
United Kingdom

Yes , thanks, that �s a good idea. Paintball. I think I might.

8 Jun 2014     

darryn
United Kingdom

I decided to delete it and make it into a paintball game, I think that is a sensible alternative.

8 Jun 2014     

winy
Brazil

Don �t blame yourself my friend when I was a child we used to play with guns and war toys and we are peace people today. But unfortunaly we are in difficult times, when everyone want to blame people for anything. I liked the idea about a paintball game maybe with another targets.

8 Jun 2014