Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!    

Help!

rodrigoleao2005
Brazil

Help!

Could anyone help me? Are these sentences correct? a)The store has customer parking. b)I only got one and a half hour�’s sleep last night. c)This box can serve as table. OR as a table? d) The Smiths’� house is the one on the corner. e) Literary translation pays less than technical one. f)The novel is a masterpiece of Brazilian literature. g) If you are called for a job interview, wear an appropriate outfit. OR wear some appropriate clothes? h)Brazilian�’s passion for soccer. OR Brazilians passion ... i)Brazilian chocolate is sweeter than the one you buy in Europe. Thanks in advance.

11 Jun 2014      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Rodrigo,
a) yes
b) hours �
c) a table
d) yes
e) than technical translation
or  "A literary translation pays les than a technical one"
f) yes
g) both are correct, although "appropriate clothes" would be a little better than "some appropriate clothes".
h) Brazilians �
i) sweeter than what you buy in Europe.

b and h are both plural possessive, so they need the apostrophe after the s, like d has

Bruce

11 Jun 2014     

rodrigoleao2005
Brazil

Thanks, Bruce. In letter e I only have two options: a) Literary translation pays less than technical one. b) Literary translation pays less than technical. Which one ? A? And in letter g , I also have two options: A)If you are called for a job interview, wear some appropriate clothes. B) If you are called for a job interview, wear an appropriate outfit. What do you think? Thanks.

11 Jun 2014     

yanogator
United States

b) less than technical
g) B is a little better, so go with it. A is more informal.

Bruce

11 Jun 2014     

rodrigoleao2005
Brazil

Thanks.

11 Jun 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

g) wear an appropriate outfit.

�Some � appropriate clothes just doesn �t do.

11 Jun 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

Just to add to Bruce �s excellent answers, the reason that you can �t use "one" in e) and i) is that in these sentences, translation and chocolate are used as uncountable or non-count nouns.

11 Jun 2014     

yanogator
United States

Thanks for adding that, MoodyMoody. I wanted to give the reason, but it didn �t come to me while I was writing. I saw that it was because they didn �t have "a" before them, but that wasn �t much of a reason. Of course, they don �t have "a" because they are non-count.

Bruce

12 Jun 2014