Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Real beginners    

Real beginners

gloriawpai
Brazil

Real beginners

Dear teachers I �m going to start teaching 9 adults, real beginners. Any ideas for the first class? Warm ups? Thank you, thank you

15 Jun 2014      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Maybe you �ll find some useful tips here:

"Draw your name" could be a warm up activity. The students draw a small picture for each letter of their name which at the same time represents something about them. They then share the pictures and make acquaintance with others in the room. They can write words to represent the letters in their name if they can �t draw. If they can make simple sentences, or you could give them a model to present the person next to them and their drawing. You can then put the pictures on your group bulletine board or in your group file.
E.g. My name is Sophia, so I would draw a smile for S (because I �m friendly), orange for O (I like oranges/maybe:), paintbrush for P (I can paint/or so I think:), hand for H (I �m a hands-on person, I learn from experience), I would draw a lightbulb for I (because I love to generate ideas), aeroplane for A (I �m not afraid of flying) Something like that... You can do it for your name as an example and also you can put a model for them to speak about their fellow students, "she/he likes; she/he can; she/he doesn �t like; she/he can �t"

I have another one but I �m not sure if it �ll work with beginners.

15 Jun 2014     

gloriawpai
Brazil

Thank you Sophia!! 

15 Jun 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

My mentor presented a 1st class lesson.

She started with my name is, and asked each student what their name is.

She had a picture of her family and named mom Dad etc.
She drew  a family tree with the names of her family members on the board.

She moved on to professions using cognates. I am a teacher. My mom is a nurse. My sister is a... 

15 Jun 2014