Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > A riddle for your pupils??    

A riddle for your pupils??

you_per7
Algeria

A riddle for your pupils??

Could u ask your pupils to solve the following riddle?
A father and his son are riding in a car. the car hits a truck. The father dies and the son is rushed to the emergency room of a nearby hospital. The doctor comes in and says : " I can �t operate on this boy .he is my son."
What is the relationship between the doctor and the boy ? what could have happened in the case the wrong answer was given

20 Jun 2014      

aee.aee
Slovenia

The doctor is the boy �s mother.

20 Jun 2014     

you_per7
Algeria

I want to know the pupils reaction.
My pupils took a long time to solve it because they thought that the world " Doctor " refers to a man.

20 Jun 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Even more so if you say �surgeon �, apparently. This won �t hold sway for much longer.

20 Jun 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

This is an interesting experiment to see how far we �ve come in gender equality.
I think this has more to do with stereo types and role model thinking, than with the students � understanding of the word �doctor �. 
I �m afraid that even in languages where there is no difference between the feminine and masculine form of the word, many people automatically picture a man in the roll of the doctor in the operating room.
I will try this on my kids as soon as they wake up. Both have been working a lot on the subject of gender equality (big topic here in Jerusalem) and it will be interesting to see if they fall for this one.
Thank you �you per7 � for this interesting point.

21 Jun 2014