Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Modals/conditionals?    

Modals/conditionals?

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Modals/conditionals?

Hi friends. I am thinking of preparing a project for my school to promote higher level language skills. This kind of thing - �What might have caused this...? � �What might have happened if...? � �What would he have done if he had known that....? � 
I am going to go through the subject areas and come up with examples, e.g. in science - the teacher can show a picture of a green, polluted river and ask, �What might have caused this? � My question is: how shall I label this language - (would/should/might plus a compound tense?) Modals? Past conditionals? 

21 Jun 2014      

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

This is really good to teach! This is the conditional perfect Lynn! Wish you good luck with your project. Have a wonderful weekend. 

21 Jun 2014     

mimetomt
Bulgaria

This is third conditional!
You can also teach mixed conditional
eg. If I hadn �t spent all my money, I wouldn �t be hard up now!
Good luck!

21 Jun 2014     

isa2
Austria

I would call it the speculative perfect conditional (= making conditions for the past with the use of modals) although it is not a gramatically correct definition.

21 Jun 2014     

JPDZ
France

I �d call it "Past conditional" or Past hypothesis.

21 Jun 2014     

almaz
United Kingdom

Conditional Perfect is the usual way to describe these constructions - when there�s a condition. But how about modal verbs of inference or probability? Remember that it �s the �if � clause which is the condition while the �might have... � construction - the construction you �re interested in - is the possible/probable consequence. 

Hell, just call it �Consequences � Smile

Alex

22 Jun 2014     

jannabanna
France

Oh Alex you beat me to it!  I was just going to say : Causes and Consequences!

I had a super exercise on that with a list of things to talk about, but that was YEARS ago and I have no idea where it disappeared to.

In any case it �s the conditional perfect or third conditional if there is an "if".

Janet

22 Jun 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you, guys. I remembered it was the conditional perfect - it �s one of those things I used to know! I think I �ll call it �Teaching modal verbs of inference � because my purpose is to encourage the teachers to teach the language that the ss need for higher level thinking skills. 

Janet - if you ever find that list, I �ll have it!

Thanks again,
Lynne 

22 Jun 2014