Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Using literature    

Using literature

dmharg
Greece

Using literature

Hello my friends. I need your help once again :)
I am thinking of using literature in my class. Choose a book and work with it for the whole year. But I am not sure how to do it. Should we read a chapter every time and then do some exercises? Can you give me some ideas? Thank you all so much :)

11 Jul 2014      

anitarobi
Croatia

It depends on their knowledge level, your time frame and your goals. Do you want to use literature to teach vocabulary or to teach them to think, or both, which is best? My students love it when we read in class. I usually start with brainstorming or a guessing game - e.g. give them a key word and have them form their own predictions about what they can expect... If the story is set in a different timeline, it helps to get them to play some instrumental mzsic from that time and ask them to imagine such a world (e.g. a world without cellphones, skyscrapers, etc.) While reading, it is important, especially in the beginning, to get them involved and pause from time asking them: What would you do? Could you do that? Have you ever been in a similar situation? Etc. The more involved they get in the beginning, the easier it is to do all kinds of projects later. After reading a chapter, I love to ask them to guess what will happen next. It keeps them on their toes till next time. You can do worksheets, posters, writing tasks(ask them to change the ending, to write the next chapter or an interview with a character...) I hope this helps. Have fun, teach them how to think, and they will love reading;-) Anita

11 Jul 2014     

gilderoy_lockhart
Chile

Hello,

I �m a teacher at a school where we have three 90-minute periods of English classes a week. Usually during the second term, we choose a book from the catalogue of one of the major ESL/EFL publishing companies (which have the advantage of being graded, i.e., for starters, pre-intermediate, etc) and read one chapter every week. We revise and review vocabulary every class, students usually note it down, and then they are asked to do different tasks based on their level of command of the language: retell the story, invent a different ending, describe a picture, and so on. So far it has worked all right, students are very excited to start a new book every year, but they have to be chosen carefully.
Hope it helps, if I can be on any further assistance, don �t hesitate to send me a DM.
Best regards :)

11 Jul 2014     

dmharg
Greece

Thank you my friends. I thought of using Aesop �s Fables for the young students (age 8 - 10) and something different for the others.Do you think Harry Potter is a good choice?

12 Jul 2014     

EstherLee76
Peru

I use readers with my students of that age so that they don �t get stuck over the language.  Harry Potter has lots of challenging vocabulary.  "Lemony Snickett" however is very readable in authentic language. You might want to take a look at it.

12 Jul 2014