Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Idiom?    

Idiom?

carinita
Argentina

Idiom?

"IT �S NOT WHIPPED CREAM"
Does this expression  have a special meaning?
That �s what I think I heard while watching episode 1 or 2 of �Masters of Sex �
Thanks in advance!

12 Jul 2014      

Peter Hardy
Australia

The expression �Peaches and cream � means all is great, but nowadays it has a more sexual annotation, indeed. I haven �t heard the one you came across, though, but as usual, language is a living thing aka it changes. So who knows what was meant by it? For those in the dark, William Masters and Virginia Johnson are (were?) American sexologists in the sixties and seventies. In 2009 a book and in 2013 a documentary about their life �s work was made: �Masters of sex �. They taught the prude (no offence intended) Americas how to love and to make love, also known as the sexual evolution. So it could mean "It (sex) is not rocket science." But like you, Carinita, I �d love to hear what our American friends think. Cheers, Peter

12 Jul 2014     

carinita
Argentina

Hello, Peter
Characters weren �t talking about sex when the expression was used. They were having a casual conversation. Contextual information might have helped. The thing is I don �t remember which episode I was watching when I listened to it...
Looking forward to our American friends replies!

13 Jul 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Carinita

I didn�t see that series and whipped cream is not a common idiom that I am aware of however it is often associated with sex.

There�s a reference to whipped cream in this episode.  Was this the context?  If so, it is explained here. The shoe analogy means that once she was wearing the correct size shoes she felt that she was walking on something light and fluffy (compared to ill fitting shoes being uncomfortable and like walking on something sharp and bumpy).

Cheers 

Jayho

13 Jul 2014     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks for your links, Jayho. It wasn �t that scene...Virginia was chatting with someone else... So...It �s not an idiomatic expression...I guess.

13 Jul 2014