Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > To computer boffins    

To computer boffins

Enid Stella
South Africa

To computer boffins

Does anyone know why MP4 videos have no sound on my computer - whereas other videos and files have sound. I have checked all the normal stuff and made sure that the sound settings are all ok.
I would appreciate your help on this as our IT guy (not a boffin) can �t give me an answer.
Greetings to all from South Africa. 

15 Jul 2014      

you_per7
Algeria

Maybe your MP4 video files are damaged or they need special codecs.
it is better to use

15 Jul 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

As we all know, computers are a male invention and as such far from perfect. As with their human counterparts, if you do one thing wrong, they won �t work. Next, they can do the same thing in different ways and do it very fast (and yes, that �s why men think they are superiour). So the first question would be, which program do you use?  Windows Media Player i.e. cannot play all kinds of video or music files.  And MP4 is one of these files. Usually you may get sound but no picture, but I can imagine it the other way around.  In order to play different video/sound files in WMP you need to download so-called codices (plural for codex!) A program like VLC on the other hand will play as good as each type of files, both sound and video.  You may want to get that little beauty, especially as it �s it �s for free! Another problem may be with the file itself.  Uploading it from i.e. YouTube could have gone wrong, and as such the file usually won �t play at all, but I have seen them play partially. So, in conclusion, as with any man you may wonder why they were invented. Or why there is not just one single type that you can rely on.  Never mind, you �ve tried everything and it doesn �t work.  My advice: get VLC and if it still doesn �t work, I �d say the file is corrupted. Last but not least, you may try to convert the file into a Windows Media File. You �ll need a converter to do so. I like YouTube downloader (I use the free version) which can download YouTube files and convert them as well.  There are free converters online, too, like www.convert2mp3.net/en/   Let me know how you went, won �t you? Good luck. Peter

15 Jul 2014     

Garibaldina
Argentina

Hi!
I use BSPlayer. It �s excellent for audio & video. It even looks for subtitles of series & movies automatically. It �s free! You can download it here:
http://www.bsplayer.com/bsplayer-english/download.html
Good luck!

15 Jul 2014     

Enid Stella
South Africa

Thank you all for your suggestions - it was very kind of you to take the trouble. I �m going to have a go at all the suggestions and hopefully I �ll have some positive results. Thanks again!

15 Jul 2014