Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > right word    

right word

Jehanne18
France

right word

Hello!
I am preparing some documents for the next school year and am stuck with some expression.
I am writing a text about a girl describing her town, and at the end of her comments, I would like her to say something like " I can only advise you to come and see for yourself". It is the last bit that I am unsure about... Is it right? Does it sound English?
What I mean is she advises people to come and visit her town so as to realise that what she said is true. Is there an expression using the verb "see" for that?
Thanks a lot in advance!

15 Jul 2014      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

"see for yourself" is standard English.

15 Jul 2014     

GIOVANNI
Canada

It means come and look for yourself.  This expression is used quite often when we would like someone to form their own opinion on what they see.  If I bought a new car and told my friend that it drives really fast I would say "come and see for yourself" meaning come and try it out.

15 Jul 2014     

yanogator
United States

Yes, it �s just right.

Bruce

15 Jul 2014     

Jehanne18
France

Thank you so much!

15 Jul 2014