Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with words!!!! CRIME VOCABULARY    

Help with words!!!! CRIME VOCABULARY

Jessisun
Argentina

Help with words!!!! CRIME VOCABULARY

Hi, everybody!!!! I need some help with vocabulary related to crime....With my adult class we were learning vocabulary related to crimes and one of my students (who is a lawyer) asked me if there �s a clear difference between a killer and a murder... We think that a killer is someone who is paid to kill somebody like a �hitman/hitwoman � and a murder... is someone who kills someone by mistake for example? 
Another question with this topic.... my lawyer student asked me if extortion means for example if someone �knows someone �s secret � and asks that person money in order not to reveal what s/he knows...otherwise, s/he �ll tell the others the truth... Are we in the correct way??? Thank you so much in advance!!! Regards!!! Smile 

12 Aug 2014      

karagozian
France

I made a couple of ws on that subject. Others have as well.

13 Aug 2014     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I think that if you know someone �s secret and you ask for money, it is blackmail.
Extortion (also called shakedownoutwresting, and exaction) is a criminal offense of obtaining money, property, or services from a person, entity, or institution, through coercion. Refraining from doing harm is sometimes euphemisticallycalled protection. Extortion is commonly practiced by organized crime groups.

13 Aug 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

This is from my perspective as an American who never went to law school.

Killer is not a legal term. It can actually be used both as a noun and as an adjective. When used as a noun, it can mean either someone or something that kills, or someone or something (such as an animal) that enjoys killing. It is not exactly the same as hitman/hitwoman, which refer to someone who is paid to kill a specific person. Killer as an adjective can refer to a killer whale (orca), or to something that is very difficult (Wow! Killer test today!) or really nice (Killer shoes! Where did you get those?) The latter two uses are slang; killer whale is standard.

A murder is the deliberate and unlawful killing of another person. Manslaughter is the killing of another person through negligence. There �s also self-defense, accidental death, and killing as an act of war. A murderer is a person who is convicted of illegally killing another person through deliberate actions. By extension, some people will call a person who wrongfully causes the death of another living being as a murderer. Many Americans called the American football player Michael Vick a murderer after he was convicted of dog fighting. He never killed a person, but he was responsible for the deaths of several dogs in the dog fighting.

Your lawyer friend is correct; extortion is the unlawful use of force or threat to gain property or money. The specific kind of extortion your student mentioned is usually called blackmail.

Hope this helps!

13 Aug 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

For a definitive answer, I would ask a law library or lawyer. 
The resources I found online didn �t seem conclusive to me.
They all had definitions for  the noun �murder � but no entry for who commits the crime.

There are some legal dictionaries online.  http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?typed=extortion&type=1 has a definition for extortion, but not for killer, seemilngly verifying that �killer � is not a legal term, as MoodyMoody already correctly stated.

�Murder � is in the dictionary  (felony murder, first degree murder, second degree murder) but murderer was not in the dictionary. 

Homicide � is in the dictionary but I could not find a legal term for the person who commits homicide in the legal dictionary, nor in the penal code at http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.19.htm .

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/homicide-murder-manslaughter-32637.html uses the term �killer � .

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/murderer says it is based on the Burton �s Legal Thesaurus, 4E. Copyright � 2007 by William C. Burton. Used with permission of The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. Both terms �murderer � and �killer � are in the legal thesaurus.

13 Aug 2014     

EstherLee76
Peru

What your student is referring to as to extorsion is called "blackmail" (Chantaje we say here in Peru).  To kill is to make something dead, by accident or with intent.  To murder is to kill a human being intentionally.  In Spanish we use "assasinar" but to assassinate in English is to murder an imporant figure, usually a political figure (John F. Kennedy was assassinated).

13 Aug 2014     

Jessisun
Argentina

Thank you everyone for your replies!!! I readlly appreciate your help!!!! Regards!!!Wink

13 Aug 2014