Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELPPPPP!!!!    

HELPPPPP!!!!

lizgc7
Mexico

HELPPPPP!!!!

Hello members!!!

I want to ask you something, I am teaching some vocabulary about menus in restaurants, and I don �t know what is the meaning of these words, I am really confused now:

Topped
Smothered
Tossed
Bathed

I would appreciate a lot your help!!!!

Thanks!!! =)

13 Feb 2009      

Zora
Canada

Topped would mean a sauce of some kind poured on top of whatever. (or it could also mean that something has been place on top - like cherries, or chocolate pieces... )
Smothered means it has lots of sauce, way more than topped...
Tossed is used mostly for salads and it just means the salad is literal mixed with the dressing
Bathed is similar to smothered...

13 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Adding to Zora �s fine explanations:

And whipped cream is also a topping. (and it stays on top)
on an ice-cream sundae. (nuts and melted chocolate too)

L

13 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

You guys are making me hungry!

13 Feb 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Freddie, what about a juicy hamburger, smothered with fried onions and topped with a dill pickle to satisfy your hunger.

13 Feb 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Well, Zora �s & LibertyBelle �s explanations are very good!

I would also add that if �bathed � is used on a menu it would mean more sauce (or whatever else you use) than you would give for �topped �. ´Smothered´ would be more than ´bathed´ and is usually a richer and/or thicker sauce or condiment.

Most chefs (myself included) that I know would probably use �bathed � when refering to a a dish that has been �basted �, �poached � or �braised � and is then served with the liquid used when cooking (i.e. the liquid used when �basting �, �poaching � or �braising �). If we use that term with a dessert it will usually mean less than smothered but more than topped - think �creme caramel �  or self saucing pudding.
Smothered means a large amount of sauce or condiment. For example, you might describe a pavlova as being a �meringue �smothered � with cream and topped with fresh strawberries & kiwi fruit �

With  �tossed � it would mean a lightly & quickly mixed dish or group of ingredients. If it is a salad it doesn �t necessarily have to have the dressing included. You could describe an Asian style stir fry as �x + y lightly tossed through a sesame & soy sauce �, for example.

You may find the culinary use of many words (particularly on menus) is not to be taken literally but more as a way to entice a diner into trying a dish. It has often been said that eating is as much to do with perception & psychology as it is about the actual ingredients of a dish.

Bon apetite!

13 Feb 2009     

lizgc7
Mexico

Hey!!!!

All of you are so kind and helpful!!!!

Very clear explanations!!!! ClapClapClapClapClap

Greetings from Mexico!!!! =)

13 Feb 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Thank you for this interesting lesson! can any native speaker describe these hamburgers to consider them as examples?

(This baby is extra!!!)

13 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

Both hamburgers are "topped" with ingredients...

Now:

Here �s something smothered with whip cream but topped with chocolate sauce. (close your eyes Freddie!) See LOTS of whip cream, compared to the chocolate sauce...

An example pf "bathed" - it is bathed in chocolate sauce:

Just think: bathed comes from "bathe or bath" or it is sort of "swimming" in sauce.

Smothered means "to be choked or strangled" - so the dessert will have A LOT of sauce or whatever... it will almost be too much..

And "topped" - is self explanatory... it is what is on top, but normally not in a huge quantity...

13 Feb 2009