Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Online TEFL courses    

Online TEFL courses

yetigumboots
Germany

Online TEFL courses

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone have experience with online TEFL courses? Would you recommend them? If so, which is the best? Are they acknowledged abroard as a proper qualification? I would love to hear your feedback on this subject. Thanks xx

Greetings from snowy Germany

13 Feb 2009      

Greek Professor
Greece

Hi yetigumboots,  {great name}

Here are a few sites you can go through.... I hope they are helpful

13 Feb 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Thanks Greek Professor.

Yes I have been through all the web sites but just wanted some first hand comments from someone who has done the course... just to know what to expect... If an old �codger � like me will still get her rusty ol � brain round it. (he he)

Thanks again Yeti xxxx

13 Feb 2009     

Amanda W
Austria

Hi!
 I �ve just read your request, sitting here in snowy Austria, and thought I �d let you know about my experience. I did an "i - to - i"  online course last summer. It all ran very professionally. Extra qualifaications could be added (and still can be, at a later date) like business English and teaching children and teaching one to one etc. You have a personal tutor who gives you comments on the work you submit. I found it useful and sometimes quite demanding but I enjoyed doing it. The qualification is recognised all over the world and jobs are offered from the organising body. In some countries though, they like you to have a university degree in "something"..this doesn �t have to be in English.
I was pleased with the courses I took and with my tutors.
I must admit, I have a job which didn �t require such a qualification so I haven �t tried to get a job with it. I just did it for ME.
I hope this helps you a bit.
                 Mandy

13 Feb 2009     

wolfy
Chile

I did a TEFL online course, for free :) Some institutes here in Chile offer native speakers their online course for free if you work for them. �That was some time ago now not sure if they still do it. �I found the course exceptionally easy. �Any native speaker will have no difficulty, as you read a few pages then write an essay based on what you�ve read. �Being a native speaker is far more important than any qualification here in Chile. �An "old codger" like you would have no problem. �In any case I�m sure plenty of people here would help out. �Greetings from 30+ degrees Chile. �My family are on a visit to Chile at the moment. �There�re all a bit shell shocked at the moment, no wind, no rain, and absolutely zero chance of snow. �We�ll probably get all that in 6 months + flooding, so don �t feel jealous.

13 Feb 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Thanks Mandy and Wolfy,
I also just want to do it for ME. I started teaching English here to small kids three years ago and it has taken off so much that I thought I would expand a bit (and try to earn some cash.....) It is really just to give me more confidence because so far no one has asked for a qualification, they just want native speakers to help their kids.
So I will give the course a try so stay close by in case I have a black out. he he

Don �t worry Wolfie.. I will nip out and build you a quick snowman before my next lesson.
Take care and thanks again. Yeti xx

13 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

I may be a bit late in but here goes my 2 cents worth...

If you are doing it to learn and improve yourself as a teacher, and you want to move into this as a profession, don`t do an online course. Invest in doing a CELTA. As a manager of an English department who cares about the quality of the education we provide, I choose teachers who have done CELTA or even DELTA if I can find them because the difference in quality of the training is noticable.

But of course lf you just need a quick certificate then an online TEFL gives you some basic ideas. The programs vary in what they offer, from very little to as good as CELTA. The biggest difference is in CELTA you teach a certain number of lessons while being observed and you get usually very good feedback on your teaching. This is essential, I think. I don`t see how an online program could offer that.

13 Feb 2009     

puddyd
Oman

Hi  , my mum is busy with the same course that Mandy did ,the i-to-i.She has been extremley impressed by exactly what Mandy has mentioned , so I would strongly advise that one and  I will be passing on the info to another friend of mine who was also asking. In saying all that I couldn �t agree more with Freddie, you can �t beat a CELTA.

13 Feb 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Thanks Guys, I wanted to do a CELTA one but I have two kids of my own and this would involve going back to England for a few weeks to do it and I just can �t do that at the moment.   Unless anyone knows if it is possible to do a course like this in Germany??? I doubt it.  I would much prefer a course where I get the classroom experience but I think I have to start with the online one first. Thanks anyway.

Love Yeti xx

16 Feb 2009