Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Scaffolding techniques    

Scaffolding techniques

ch&c-englishclasses
Peru

Scaffolding techniques

Hi my dear friends I am preparing a PPT for my school and it will about scaffolding building vocabulary for teens. I need urgently more activities/ tasks to be develop by my colleagues.

Thanks for your interest in helping me.

26 Aug 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You might be able to adapt some of the activities from here: http://www.eslprintables.com/teaching_resources/other_worksheets/Strategies_for_supporting_esl__640504/#thetop

Basically, advise your staff to use DARTS (direct activities linked to task) - match up/jumbled up words and sentences/cloze/sequencing/true or false/labelling/barrier games e.g. Splat! ...Things which allow them to practise and manipulate the words before they actually have to produce language. 

One interesting way to introduce a new word is in the form of a diagram. The new word is in a box in the middle - then going round it are boxes for: where you see it/ draw it/design a symbol for it/a synonym/ an antonym/finally - use it in a sentence. 

Hope this helps!

26 Aug 2014     

ch&c-englishclasses
Peru

Clap  Thank you so much, indeed.

26 Aug 2014     

karagozian
France

Great ideas Lynne ! Thanks too !

27 Aug 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Have you checked Busy Teacher? (http://busyteacher.org/8916-practical-suggestions-scaffolding-esl-classroom.html) Sorry I can �t help much better. Peter

28 Aug 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Me again! My mats are on here.

28 Aug 2014