Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Classroom language    

Classroom language

Minka
Slovenia

Classroom language

Hello!

This is from a student �s book:  

"Sorry, I �ve forgotten my homework."

Native speakers, do you find this natural?

Thank you.

28 Aug 2014      

picnicongallifrey
United Kingdom

Yes of course, it �s perfectly natural!

Why wouldn �t it be? How would you say it? :)

28 Aug 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, it �s absolutely natural - and very honest! I used to say the dog had eaten mine!

28 Aug 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Maybe, what Minka is wondering about is "to forget" vs "leave behind"...

28 Aug 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

"I �ve forgotten my homework" usually implies that the student forgot to bring the homework to school, but it can also mean that the student forgot to do the homework at all. In this case, either the present perfect or the simple past "I forgot my homework" is acceptable grammar. Acceptable behavior... no!

28 Aug 2014     

yanogator
United States

Sophia, if that �s the case, then there is an important difference. I know that many people would say "I forgot my homework at home" (which is wrong) instead of "I left my homework at home".

Bruce

28 Aug 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I feel like if the context is clear (student forgetting to bring in his homework to school)
one could use simple past.

EXAMPLES
I would say, "I forgot my homework"with it implied that I left it at home. 

I would also say, "I forgot my lunch," if I discovered that I had left it at home.

And "I forgot my keys," if I discovered that I could not get into my locked office at work.

"I forgot my towel." I would say that to the pool attendant when requesting a towel to use.

There is also a saying, "You �d forget your head, if it wasn �t tied on."

28 Aug 2014     

ronah12
Philippines

ahh dont think literally. just the idea from the child �s words..

28 Aug 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I wonder if there is a difference between British English and American? As a stand-alone sentence in a context like this, English definitely prefers present perfect. The past simple comes into play much more when there is a modifier or in answer to a question. English kids are more likely to say, �I �ve forgotten my homework, � which btw implies that they did do it but left it at home, or they world say, �I didn �t do it � or �I forgot to do it.* � Would American kids � more natural utterance be �I forgot it. � I wonder? 
* simple past here because they are explaining something they forgot previously. 

29 Aug 2014