Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > help please...    

help please...

mahlove
Japan

help please...

Can you help me whats the difference of may i and shall i? im confuesed. the teaching style here in Japan is different. please help me to understand more. im not sure with the explanation of my teacher. :(

28 Aug 2014      

lewisronaldc
United States

We often use [ may I] when asking if we can do something that involves just one person [myself] , such as may I have a cookie, may I take your coat? and [shall I] when the happening involves more than one person, such as shall I pass out the cookies, or shall I put all the guests � coats in the closet? However as an American whose country is made up of English speaking people from all over the world, I have had these two phrases reversed and both are asking for permission to do something. After all, we are talking about understandable communication. May I is considered more polite by some. 0

28 Aug 2014     

Tere-arg
Argentina

May I...? is used to ask for permission.

May I use your  phone?

Shall I...? is used to ask for instructions, advice

Shall I do the exercise now?

28 Aug 2014