Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > IELTS Speaking - Assessment Criteria     

IELTS Speaking - Assessment Criteria

niksailor
Russian Federation

IELTS Speaking - Assessment Criteria

Dear teachers of English! I �m currently working in an English-speaking club and intend to prepare some of my students for taking the IELTS exam. Although I have absolutely no experience in doing this, I made an attempt to take this exam myself some time ago just to get familiar with its format. Well...the results left much to be desired because the average score was only 7 (I am a linguist by higher education). The most shocking thing was a speaking part - I hardly made a serious grammatical or lexical mistake, filled my speech with striking expressions and spoke rather fluently, approximately at my examiner �s level. But the result was 6.5 and that is disappointing as I know my genuine skills. So, does any of you know the exact critiria for evaluating this part of the IELTS exam? Are they really subjective and do they vary from one native speaker of English to another? Could I possibly overdo at the exam? Also, is it real to pass a speaking part with the score of 9? Thanx a lot in advance!!! Best regards, NICK.

5 Sep 2014      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi Nick, 
Maybe this free app from Macmillan will be helpful as it contains two examples of IELTS speaking exam (in the skills section) with explanations who of the examinees was better and why. Honestly, I got it wrong when they asked to identify who of the two speakers did better, I chose the young lady and it turned out the young man got a higher mark.
And here�s the IELTS speaking app for a reasonable price.

You have probably seen this 
http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/sites/default/files/IELTS_Speaking_Assessment_Criteria_Public.pdf

Also, you can apply (no later than six weeks after the test was taken) for the sections of your test to be remarked by the test centre where you sat the exam.
http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/find-out-about-results/questions-about-your-ielts-results

5 Sep 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

My workmate is an IELTS examiner and the criteria is extremely strict. There is ABSOLUTELY no way that it is subjective. She has to retrain every two years to prove that she is competent and following the set guidelines. If she is not she is dismissed. A score of 7 is not to be sniffed at. Most native speakers would struggle to get that. I tried a listening test myself and I have been a native speaker for over 60 years and I only scored an 8 in that particular test. Like many tests it has a stress on certain ways of doing things particularly in the reading and writing sections. So if you are going to teach it it is extremely important that you follow and teach the strategies you will find in so many IELTS textbooks. I have taught it myself and I found it very prescriptive. Good luck, Joy

5 Sep 2014     

EFL-Teacher
China

IELTS Speaking band descriptors (Public version):

http://www.ielts.org/pdf/UOBDs_SpeakingFinal.pdf

6 Sep 2014     

niksailor
Russian Federation

Thank you, dear colleagues! ... In reality, as far as I know, the score of 6.5 - 7 is enough for almost all practical aims, such as getting into a university, for instance. Maybe it is the score that IELTS candidates should aspire to.

6 Sep 2014