Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > the problem of ´little ´    

the problem of ´little ´

Apryll12
Hungary

the problem of ´little ´

Hi Everyone!

I feel a little bit silly to ask you the following question but I ´m really interested in your opinions. So help me with your ideas, please.

little can be used as a synonym for small  (is that right?) --> small girl = little girl

When I want to use the comparative of small, it ´s very simple: smaller is the correct form. But what about little?

I know the comparative of little is less, but that ´s another use of the word...

So my question is: Can I use little in comparative sentences with the meaning of small? And if the answer is yes, what is the form? (littler???? or more little???? - they don ´t sound right to me!!!!)

Thanks for your ideas.

Krisztina

13 Feb 2009      

penbwl
Japan

Hi Kriszti

I really enjoyed your question and it took me back to when I was a child Big smile

To answer your question, we simply don ´t use it in that way. We tend to switch to smaller when we want to make a comparative sentence.

However, it ´s one of those endearing uses that you hear from ´little ´ children as they over generalize grammar rules.

I would say, just switch to smaller for the comparative sentence to retain the meaning.

13 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

Yes, you can say "littler" and "littlest".. they are both correct when referring to something "tiny" or "small"

13 Feb 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

Hi! Some adjectives do not inflect for comparison.

In general, adjectives are restricted to attributive position, or that occur predominantly in attributive position, do not characterize the referent of the noun directly. For example, old can be either a central adjective or an adjective restricted to attributive position. In that old man, old is a central adjective, and can thus also be predicative: That man is old. On the other hand, in the usual sense of >an old friend of mine=, old is restricted to attributive position and cannot be related to >My friend is old=. In this case, old is the opposite of new. The person referred to is not being identified as old; it is his friendship that is old. When adjectives characterize the referent of the noun directly (that old man, My friend is old) they are termed inherent, when they do not (an old friend of mine) they are termed noninherent.

Something similar occurs with little. Little girl is not the same as "the girl is little", because little girl can have two meanings (age or size). That´s the reason why the comparative form of little when it refers to quantity is less and when referring to size it is "smaller".

I hope you have understood what I mean.

13 Feb 2009     

Apryll12
Hungary

I ´ve had the same opinion as penbwl as I ´ve never heard or seen littler or littlest written anywhere. Of course it doesn ´t mean that they don ´t exist, I know Big smile.  And as you are a native speaker, Zora, I believe you, but littler sounds soooo strange and somehow I feel it inside that it is not right. I can ´t explain or support my opinion with rules, it ´s just a feeling.....

13 Feb 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

However, If we pay attention to use instead of paying attention to grammar rules, if little means "small in size," the comparative is littler or more little, and the superlative is littlest.

So, you can say smaller, littler or more little. All of them are correct.

13 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

It may sound strange but it is used Smile here ´s a link to a respected online dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/little

Smile

13 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Normally people just say ´ ´smaller ´ ´ but littler is ok too.

Miss Melissa. Hug

13 Feb 2009     

penbwl
Japan

In terms of usage ´littler ´ is only really used by small children or in storybooks for children.

As a native speaker it was one of those words that I was discouraged from using.

It may be in the dictionary but you will sound child-like usually if you use it as there are more precise alternatives i.e. ´less ´ and ´smaller ´

It REALLY does sound WEIRD to me when I hear an adult using it Big smile

Here in Japan, little children refer to themselves by their first names

e.g. Satomi: "Satomi is hungry."

But if Satomi continues to speak of herself in that way beyond primary school age she starts to sound really strange and with affectation. ´Littler ´ feels similar to me. I wouldn ´t encourage my adult students to use it...

13 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

"Littler" sounds okay to me... but depending what we are talking about and how we use it:

For example the Chicago Tribune has used it in an article about cars and their performance... (which is quite frequent)

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-169287819.html

NY Times article describing Cambodia:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/nyregion/thecity/20camb.html?_r=1&ref=thecity&oref=slogin

LA Times in an article about child care:

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/oct/21/news/ls-34526

See? It can be used in a "mature" fashion and not only in a "child-like" way or perhaps these newspapers are wrong in their usage??

13 Feb 2009     

Apryll12
Hungary

Yes, thanks a million, Zora! But we all know that very rare uses of certain words or even structures can quite frequently be found in newspaper articles. As for me, I really appreciate your efforts to try to make it clear for us (teachers) but with my students I ´ll use this very simple explanation that I got in a PM from a fellow member:

Oxford Advanced Learner ´s Dictionary:
"The forms ´littler ´ and ´littlest ´ are rare. It is more common to use ´smaller ´ and ´smallest ´.

You usually use ´small ´ for the size. ´Little ´ implies a positive connotation (you show your affection, your feelings...)
a small village > not big
a little village > full of charm and character

Smile

13 Feb 2009     

1    2    Next >